Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Troublesome kitty

1. Back To Top    #1

Troublesome kitty

Had an abandoned kitten take up residence at my house a couple weeks ago and noticed a few days ago that it has been pooping on my mesh pool cover! : I had it pulled taunt above the water so my husband could blow the leaves off throughout the fall. So, I went around the pool and let the slack down into the water hoping that when he tries to step on the cover that he'll be in the water and get off the cover. Well, no such luck, now he goes around the top rail and turns his hiney inward and poops over the edge!! Only, now it rolls down into the water.

I'm not exactly sure of how I can get him to stop, so I'm here asking the professionals who have dealt with every imaginable scenerio! I don't want to get rid of the kitten but if I don't find a solution soon, well.........he'll have to go. Here's a picture of my pool. You can see a partial deck which is where he's getting on the pool.

pool1.jpg
    21'x54" Quest (Resin) -11,700 gal. AGP
    Hayward 18" Sand Filter System (150lbs.)
    1.5-HP Power-Flo Pump (2100 gph)
    Terra Cotta liner (25 gauge)
    TF-100 test kit
    BBB method
    Full sun
    :)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Troublesome kitty

Well I have to say that IS a new one! Maybe he wants to be potty trained!

For now can you put up something to keep him from getting to the edge of the pool? I am thinking some cheap fence like you would put around a flower bed???????? My hope is to "train" him out of this habit (ewwwwwww for sure).

Next would be a motion activated sprinkler on the deck......kitty gets on deck to ewww and he gets wet.

Next would be send him to me! LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Mr. Cat just needs some training. The water hose usually cures them with just a couple of soaks.

You'll have to be vigilant and quick if you do it manually.

Kim's idea is great, too, let's all send her a cat!!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Kim, my mean cat will be in fedex box by morning. All I need is an address

Free form 17X30. 14,500 Gal. Pentair sand filter and 1.5 hp pump. Aqua-Rite SWCG. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

I was kidding! Though, she is mean.

Free form 17X30. 14,500 Gal. Pentair sand filter and 1.5 hp pump. Aqua-Rite SWCG. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Mr. Cat just needs some training. The water hose usually cures them with just a couple of soaks.

You'll have to be vigilant and quick if you do it manually.

Kim's idea is great, too, let's all send her a cat!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbkLjjlMV8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goZ2DqMnaGc

7. Back To Top    #7

LOL What is one more??????? Tell your kitties they get to pick where they hang out:

-Barn-there is a loft with heated beds
    -Screen porch with heated beds
    -Inside on the heated King size bed (so there will be room for us!)

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Hilarious solution.

Perhaps a flame thrower for those that don't learn.

Just kidding.

Maybe.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

Kitty in a FedEx box reminds me of Aunt Bethany and her cat from Christmas Vacation!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

10. Back To Top    #10

Place strips of double-stick tape all around the top ledge of the pool. Cats HATE stepping on anything sticky. Leave it long enough to "train" him into a different habit. This works for keeping them off counters or tables as well!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by BigEinAZ View Post
    Place strips of double-stick tape all around the top ledge of the pool. Cats HATE stepping on anything sticky. Leave it long enough to "train" him into a different habit. This works for keeping them off counters or tables as well!
    Oh I like this idea.

Also........you know those carpet runners with the sharp things on the bottom to hold it in place? Buy some of that and turn it ouchy side up around the pool on the deck.

Kim

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

turn it ouchy side up
    never heard that description before but it is PERFECT for that product.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School