Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leak or Evaporation?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dallas, Texas

Leak or Evaporation?

Build completed in September for an IG 17k gallon pool. I feel like I am having to constantly add water. In the heat of September/October (it was still well in the 90's here in N. Texas) I was filling every 3 days. Now I'm filling probably every 5 to 7 give or take.

Our pool has literally no shade at all, and we are a lot of open land so there is a ton of wind with no shield against the breeze. I'm not sure if these conditions would have an effect.

Anyway, I would guess I'm losing around a 1/4" a day which I have read can be normal evaporation....However, I really did thing this would slow down in the winter.

Do you think there is a leak, or considering no shade and the wind, is filling the pool this often normal?
    Build in progress: 31x18 GI (17,336 gallons) / Diamond Brite French Gray finish / Flagstone Coping / 30ft weeping wall with 7 stations plumbed / Salt Finish Deck / Pentair EasyTouch Controls / Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump / Pentair D.E. Filter 60sft / Polaris Automatic Pool Sweep w/ Booster Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Leak or Evaporation?

Wind affects evaporation more than temperature, in my experience.

The way to be sure is to set a plastic bucket on the steps and fill it with water. Mark the pool level and the bucket level on the the bucket. Check it after a day. You should see similar rates of evaporation on either side of the bucket wall.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!