sort of new but have an issue i dont undrstande

Jan 6, 2016
Troup
My wife signed up last spring and i have switched to liquid clorine and use the pool math. Pool has never looked so good or been as inexpensive to maintain.

I have 2 new issues and am looking for help.

The pumps run in the day time but when I get up in the am the spa has drained, it is cold out and the freeze protection is on. Would the freeze protection cause the spa to drain? Or do I have some obscure valve or mode setting incorrect?

Second, I get an incredible amount of what looks like brown / tan "dirt" in corners or steps and edges of the pool and it builds if I dont sweep it daily. Could this actually be dirt or is it an algae of some sort. I have fought black algae before but it has not reappeared.

Any help would be great, thanks

Post a picture of your pool equipment including the valve set up as well as the specific details of your pool.

Your description sounds more like algae than dirt since dirt does not reappear daily unless you deal with very high winds on a day to day basis. Time to do an OCLT and post your current test results.

Check your valve settings. You are obviously drawing water from the spa and not returning it.

I would doubt an algae problem. Unless you have VERY low chlorine level (zero or very near), algae won't grow in cold water.