Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stenner pump vs the Liquidator

1. Back To Top    #1

Stenner pump vs the Liquidator

I'm looking to adopt the TFP method of sanitizing my pool this spring and was wondering what everyone thought about the Liquidator or the Stenner pump. I currently like the ability to dial in my chlorine feeder but want to use bleach instead. Especially when on vacation mainly.
    16'x34' Kidney 17000 Gallon IG Vinyl liner. Pentair IntelliXF vs pump, Sta-Rite System 3 DE filter. Liquidator, TF-100 Test kit w/ speed stir. Aqua Comfort heat pump, Dolphin Apollo robot, clear solar cover, stamped concrete deck.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stenner pump vs the Liquidator

Let me preface with the fact that I have neither, but if you like control to dial it in I think you will lean towards a Stenner. There is lots of info on Stenner installs in the forum and they seem pretty rock solid. Good luck and welcome.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

I had a Liquidator and have a Stenner. The Liqudator works off the suction created by your pump to infuse chlorine from a mix tank into your pool. They are a passive system. Easy to install and generally easy to maintain. Two limits on the Liquidator.

First they have problems with variable speed pumps. At low speed many systems won't generate the suction necessary to cause the Liquidator to work. Solar systems create further confusion because when it goes on you are infusing more chlorine then the days it does not.

Second, all liquid Chlorine has salt. The salt tends to precipitate out in the mix tank and has to be removed periodically. ( not a fun job) If you don't remove it it clogs the lines and there is no suction. Some folks (like me) have a situation where no mater what you do salts or other white stuff clogs the lines and prevents the system from working. Cleaning the lines every two weeks is not my idea of fun.

Stenners are more expensive. But they can be adjusted both from a time and volume and don't rely on your pump. You can control it with a time clock, your pool timer or the pool automation. With a fifteen gallon tank you would have almost a month's supply of chlorine. (I wouldn't leave the pool that long)

Stenners downside is that they are more expensive and complicated to set up but not really very technical. You have to do periodic maintenance on them at least every 2 years. Their biggest downside is they make you complacent and cause you to ignore your pool.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

gwegan has hit the prime problem with the liquidator - variable speed pumps.

If you want to be able to dial in things, you are going to want a Adjustable Output High Pressure Stenner Pump

My Stenner Install - July 2014
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

I prefer the fixed rate 10 gpd stenner because it is less complicated and does not make a clicking sound as the adjustable one does. It can be precisely controlled using a digital timer if you do not have automation.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

6. Back To Top    #6

Great information thanks, can the Stenner pumps be installed outside exposed to weather and Sun?
    16'x34' Kidney 17000 Gallon IG Vinyl liner. Pentair IntelliXF vs pump, Sta-Rite System 3 DE filter. Liquidator, TF-100 Test kit w/ speed stir. Aqua Comfort heat pump, Dolphin Apollo robot, clear solar cover, stamped concrete deck.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Howard View Post
    Great information thanks, can the Stenner pumps be installed outside exposed to weather and Sun?
    Yes, there is an optional rain shield that mounts above the pump.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

They are chemical pumps designed to be installed outside. With the cute rain shield they do fine. My problem is rain filling the overflow reservoir of the Stenner tank. So if you use a Stenner tank I'd build some kind of roof.

Also while I do notice the clicking, its not that noticeable. I have it set to run in the morning when no one is in the outdoor dining area where the pool pad is located.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

9. Back To Top    #9

My pool mechanicals are in a location where it gets full sun most of the day. Would this be a concern with either a stenner or liquidators chlorine storage tank? I'm thinking that the stored bleach or liquid chlorine would degrade in this location.
    Last edited by Andrew Howard; 01-11-2016 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Spelling

10. Back To Top    #10

Both have opaque tanks so in theory it's ok. But I would try not to put either in direct sun.

11. Back To Top    #11

I have the Liquidator and I feel that there is a Stenner in my future. Generally, I prefer simple to complex, but there are too many variables involved to expect the Liquidator to predictably meter chlorine, whether you have a variable speed pump or not. The Liquidator will inject somewhat of a base line of chlorine in the pool, but you can expect to fine tune things by hand....

12. Back To Top    #12

I was reading older posts on the liquidator and saw that tfp members can get the system at a discount. Does anyone know if this still the case? Also an upgrade 3/8 is available any feedback?

13. Back To Top    #13

When you refer to the high pressure model I'm assuming the 100psi unit vs the 25 psi unit. Are these the max ratings they can handle due to the pool pump pressure? I am looking at the 45MJL1 or most likley the H for high pressure. .2 - 3.0 gpd. The low setting would be great for my pump run time.

14. Back To Top    #14

I was reading older posts on the liquidator and saw that tfp members can get the system at a discount. Does anyone know if this still the case? Also an upgrade 3/8 is available any feedback?
    My experience:

The Liquidator comes with 1/4" tubing and it is undersized. All of the 3/8" upgrades vastly improve the efficiency of the unit, but being supplied by a third party, are not covered under warranty. As provided, the Liquidator fittings will leak because there is a thread mismatch.... the 3/8" fittings are not the proper thread, either, but they will likely stop the leakage.

15. Back To Top    #15

My pool mechanicals are in a location where it gets full sun most of the day. Would this be a concern with either a stenner or liquidators chlorine storage tank? I'm thinking that the stored bleach or liquid chlorine would degrade in this location.
    I put my 15 gallon tank inside of a garbage can. Made a big difference in how hot the 15 gallon container was getting. Now it is cool to touch and seems the chlorine stays better.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

16. Back To Top    #16

Tim is the high pressure pump needed due to pool pump pressure? I found one on chemical world.com, do you recommend a specific supplier, and also did you buy the tank through the same manufacturer?

17. Back To Top    #17

Tim is the high pressure pump needed due to pool pump pressure? I found one on chemical world.com, do you recommend a specific supplier, and also did you buy the tank through the same manufacturer?
    yes, you don't want the pool pump to overpower the Stenner and push water back into the tank. Plus, the HP pumps come with a check valve to totally prevent this from happening.

I purchased my Stenner from USWatersystems, but that was based on their price being best at the time. I don't think many companies stock,the pumps, but rely on drop shipping direct from Stenner.

Stenner does make a nice tank that the pump will mount directly on, but it is expensive. I just pruchased a used food grade 15 gallon barrel, kind of,like this: 15 Gallon Barrel/Drum, Plastic Barrels, Plastic Drums, Metal Drums, Plastic Totes, Plastic Storage Containers - ArizonaBarrels.com

18. Back To Top    #18

Both the Stenner 25psi and the 100psi models work equally well. For acid inaction, lower GPD model preferred over the higher GPD model. Just the opposite if you are injecting chlorine.
    Pool: 13k gal. in-ground; Stonescape Mini Pebble - Tropics Blue; Connected Spa - dual spill-over; Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG; AquaLogic PS-4 Automation; Sta-Rite DE Filter; Sta-Rite Max-e-Therm 400k BTU pool heater; Intellifo 2-VST Pump; Stenner 45mp2(25psi/10gpd) acid injection; Bulbwizard color LED pool lights; Poolvergnuegen 2 wheel side suction cleaner; FAFCO rooftop solar. TF-100 w/ speed stir.

19. Back To Top    #19

The Stenner pump and tank combo unit is a very convenient setup. Get the gray tank. You cannot see through it, but it does protect against UV. I just use a dipstick to see where the level is.

38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimslaw View Post
    Both the Stenner 25psi and the 100psi models work equally well. For acid inaction, lower GPD model preferred over the higher GPD model. Just the opposite if you are injecting chlorine.
    As a general rule, one should opt to get the 100psi models of Stenner pumps as the pressure-side of some filter systems could be between 18-25psi, right? I guess this is measured inside the filter tank, i.e. the PSI gauge on top. However, 25psi seems as if it'd be cutting it too close. Wouldn't it be better to always give yourself maximum headroom, i.e. always opt to get the 100psi model?

Another question: the Stenner pumps are rated in "gallons per day" (GPD). So this means that if the pump were to run continuously, for 24 hours straight, then a total of 3 gallons of liquid would be dispensed. Is this correct?
    Shasta 13k Gal. PebbleTec inground pool : Pentair VS pump : Hayward 8-cartridge filter system : A&A in-floor cleaners : Jandy 115k BTU heat-pump : A&A auto-filler : A&A Dek-Chlor (not used) : BBB Method

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast