Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump suction pipe size?? Re-plumbing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump suction pipe size?? Re-plumbing?

I am installing a new Hayward Tristar VSP pump and the current plumbing from the single skimmer is 1.5". Would I gain anything by a short run of 2" pipe from the existing 1.5" piping to the pump, through the filter and through the SWG back to 1.5" return??

I plan on putting in a divert valve for level control. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. No plans to add any other features in the near future.

Thanks in advance. FYI installing a Hayward Cartridge filter C3030. Previously installed Hayward SWG. Re-plumbing everything.
    16x32 SWG vinyl liner appox. 19k

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Pump suction pipe size?? Re-plumbing?

Do you gain "anything". Yes. Do you gain enough? If you're replacing it anyways, "Yes".

Do you gain enough to put in 2" when you didn't need to replace the 1.5", "doubtful"
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I am replacing all piping from the ground up. So just for my clarification. I gain by less head loss through the piping even though the flow rate won't significantly change on the original supply and return lines(1.5 in and out). Would it be worth extra cost to go any larger? Initial budget is not the driving factor, more about long term savings on system components longevity.
    16x32 SWG vinyl liner appox. 19k

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    Bedford, TX

I recently added a VS pump and SWG to an older pool with 1.5" plumbing. I replaced all the above ground 1.5 " plumbing with 2" plumbing just to make it eaiser to plumb more than anything else.

I did not notice any increase or decrease in the overall operation due to the pipe size.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP5200 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2.