Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thanks from a pool noob!

1. Back To Top    #1

Thanks from a pool noob!

Hi to everyone and thanks so much for this forum! I've learned a ton here and really like the emphasis on practical solutions that don't cost an arm and a leg.

I had an above-ground pool many years ago, and have really enjoyed learning what works best now. While going through the building process, there were more opinions than there are kangaroos in Australia. Whenever I asked for reasoning, all I would hear is "don't worry about it, we've done this for years," "that doesn't work," or "nobody does that." I've been seriously misled by both builders and pool shops in more ways than I care to count!

My background is agriculture, where we tested every bit of dogma just to make a buck, so my nature is to try to find reliable and low cost alternatives. From what I've seen here, you folks have it nailed.

Thanks heaps for all the tips and explanations!
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thanks from a pool noob!

Welcome!!!! Have you any questions about what testkit to order? There are lots of Aussies to help!

3. Back To Top    #3

HI! You will LOVE it here! We have science to back up what we say and do. We also have REAL life use to back it up!

Let us know where you are in your pool build.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the welcome! Aside from the current rainy spell, we've been swimming in it every day .

As far as test kit, I just have the 4 in 1 test kit so far. I'd like to be able to do Calcium hardness, and possibly CYA. My current kit has FC colour bands for 2 ppm and 5 ppm, but I'd like to be able to see 4/5/6 ppm FC differences. It's all been very interesting so far, and thanks again for all the great resources here.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners