CH really low!

Jul 21, 2015
Mckinney
I've been testing my pool and been making my way through all of the tests in my kit. Now that I have my FC PH TA and CYA all in check I need to fix my CH. After multiple checks on multiple days it's showing me 72. When I put that in the pool math it's obviously not too happy with that number.

This is a brand new pool and my pool builder did not put any kind of chemicals in the pool after the fill so I've been struggling to get everything right without adding too much of anything at once. Now it is telling me to add 612 oz of calcium chloride. Since today is my last day off I would like to start getting this under control asap. Any idea where I could pick up some in store? I hate to ask because I haven't been in the store yet, but would leslies carry it?

I order from The Chemistry Store and have been completely satisfied with both the product and the customer service Calcium Chloride Anhydrous - ChemistryStore.com You can also get some from most any pool store.

Have you ever tested the CH of your fill water? If you have high CH fill water, you might be better served trying to maintain a higher pH until your fill water eventually raises CH for you. Maintaining this higher pH will perhaps keep your CSI where it should be. You'll have to plug in all your values into Pool Math to determine if this is viable or not.

With a new plaster pool, it's important to follow a start up procedure. It varies on what's recommended, but sticking with one is best. I know the somewhat involved Bicarbonate start up is preferred by some folks here. I don't have personal experience with plaster, as I'm a vinyl lined pool owner.

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.