Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CH really low!

1. Back To Top    #1

CH really low!

I've been testing my pool and been making my way through all of the tests in my kit. Now that I have my FC PH TA and CYA all in check I need to fix my CH. After multiple checks on multiple days it's showing me 72. When I put that in the pool math it's obviously not too happy with that number.

This is a brand new pool and my pool builder did not put any kind of chemicals in the pool after the fill so I've been struggling to get everything right without adding too much of anything at once. Now it is telling me to add 612 oz of calcium chloride. Since today is my last day off I would like to start getting this under control asap. Any idea where I could pick up some in store? I hate to ask because I haven't been in the store yet, but would leslies carry it?
    20k gallons with spa, IG pebble, CL460 cartridge filter, JEP20 variable speed pump POLPB4-60 booster pump, JE3000TR heat pump, pool fill 10/9/2015, TF-100 test kit. North Tx

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CH really low!

How are you getting 72 for a CH? CH results from a TF-100 kit are always in multiples of 25. How are you performing the test? How many drops to achieve the color change?

Extended Test Kit Directions
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

This is what I get for trying to do some work on my day off and pool testing at the same time. It's actually 150, not really sure where 72 came from!!
    20k gallons with spa, IG pebble, CL460 cartridge filter, JEP20 variable speed pump POLPB4-60 booster pump, JE3000TR heat pump, pool fill 10/9/2015, TF-100 test kit. North Tx

4. Back To Top    #4

I order from The Chemistry Store and have been completely satisfied with both the product and the customer service Calcium Chloride Anhydrous - ChemistryStore.com You can also get some from most any pool store.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

5. Back To Top    #5

Or you can use Ice melter which is far cheaper than the store. Lots of threads about that on the forum.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Have you ever tested the CH of your fill water? If you have high CH fill water, you might be better served trying to maintain a higher pH until your fill water eventually raises CH for you. Maintaining this higher pH will perhaps keep your CSI where it should be. You'll have to plug in all your values into Pool Math to determine if this is viable or not.

With a new plaster pool, it's important to follow a start up procedure. It varies on what's recommended, but sticking with one is best. I know the somewhat involved Bicarbonate start up is preferred by some folks here. I don't have personal experience with plaster, as I'm a vinyl lined pool owner.

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons