Chlorine feeder for mineral pool

Moved from mineral pool
I was sold a frog mineral system as well with our new pool and the idea is to use less chlorine. Generally a constant level of 1 ppm of chlorine is needed with the mineral system. This was the attraction for us because our son has leukaemia and less chemical use seemed good. The system worked good for us this past summer with no complaints, great water quality, and no algae whatsoever ever. One mineral pack lasted the whole season from April to September and I used three (2.5) chlorine packs. Also used an algicide (bam) twice during the season.

My disappointment was that I was told to shock the pool once every week to two weeks which made no sense since the idea of the system is to keep low chlorine levels. By doing my research on TFP I found it was not necessary and stopped shocking my pool. You'll find that advice from this site and your own experience with your pool will get you away from the commercialized way of maintaining your pool. I am looking forward to using alternative methods and basic materials to maintain my pool this coming season. I am hesitant to get away from the frog system since it has worked great this past season. Many of my relatives had numerous problems.

Is there a feeder available for bleach that can be used in place of the chlorine feeder?

It is not necessary to "shock" a pool that is properly chlorinated. If you are maintaining low chlorine levels as mandated by the mineral system then you may not have enough chlorine present to kill bacteria and viruses in the water. You will most likely need to maintain the chlorine levels higher than the mineral system recommends to keep your pool sanitary, which will lead to metal staining in your pool. If you don't have any family members with light colored hair and you don't mind staining the liner you could keep the minerals, but they really aren't adding any extra protection when you have adequate chlorine levels. Since you do have a family member with a compromised immune system, I would urge you to consider switching to a chlorine only pool. You can automate chlorine dosing with a liquid chlorine pump such as a Stenner or Liquidator, or with a Saltwater Chlorine Generator.

You will LOVE how much money you save using TFP!

You will have to get a good test kit. That will be the last of big money you will have to pay out for your pool care. Look in my siggy below to see where to order them from.

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.