Moved from mineral pool
I was sold a frog mineral system as well with our new pool and the idea is to use less chlorine. Generally a constant level of 1 ppm of chlorine is needed with the mineral system. This was the attraction for us because our son has leukaemia and less chemical use seemed good. The system worked good for us this past summer with no complaints, great water quality, and no algae whatsoever ever. One mineral pack lasted the whole season from April to September and I used three (2.5) chlorine packs. Also used an algicide (bam) twice during the season.
My disappointment was that I was told to shock the pool once every week to two weeks which made no sense since the idea of the system is to keep low chlorine levels. By doing my research on TFP I found it was not necessary and stopped shocking my pool. You'll find that advice from this site and your own experience with your pool will get you away from the commercialized way of maintaining your pool. I am looking forward to using alternative methods and basic materials to maintain my pool this coming season. I am hesitant to get away from the frog system since it has worked great this past season. Many of my relatives had numerous problems.
Is there a feeder available for bleach that can be used in place of the chlorine feeder?