Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spa looks like it had a fountain but I can't find pipe - help me assemble one

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa looks like it had a fountain but I can't find pipe - help me assemble one

What special fittings / pipe / head do I need ?

Is there a standard ?

I have no no idea where to start
    Doug - Purchased 1/2016, 1995 house with 16x31 ft, ~23000 gallon Gunite pool w 11x7 spa, 3 Pentair VS pumps, a boost pump for polaris 3900 and a BaduŽ Jet super-sport swim jet pump, 1.5 hp blower, a CL460 Cartridge filter. TF-100 test kit. Aquapure SWG, iAqualink - Lots to learn. New Aquabright, Jandy LEDs, CMP LED Sheers.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa looks like it had a fountain but I can't find pipe - help me assemble one

Post a picture of what you have both the pad and the entire pool. What do you mean by fountain?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Spa looks like it had a fountain but I can't find pipe - help me assemble one

There is a hole in the center of the spa floor and the spa was described as having a fountain

Best image I have it attached with the hole highlightedspa-fountain-DSC_6910.jpg
    Doug - Purchased 1/2016, 1995 house with 16x31 ft, ~23000 gallon Gunite pool w 11x7 spa, 3 Pentair VS pumps, a boost pump for polaris 3900 and a BaduŽ Jet super-sport swim jet pump, 1.5 hp blower, a CL460 Cartridge filter. TF-100 test kit. Aquapure SWG, iAqualink - Lots to learn. New Aquabright, Jandy LEDs, CMP LED Sheers.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

That looks like a typical hole for a fountain. Can you feel any water coming up thru it, any threads at the top? It should be a threaded hole where you can thread a pipe with a fountain head on it. You should be able to find a head all over the internet. As for the pipe, usually a standard 1 1/2 pipe.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

If it's like mine it's just a 1 1/2 threaded male/PVC connection glued to enough 1 1/2 PVC to get just below the surface then an eyeball discharge fitting on top. Simple to make one up.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

No threads in the hole that I could tell when we heated the spa from 40-100 to "break it in " over new years
    I thought should be a simple job - thanks for confirming

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

It's possible that someone broke the pipe off leaving part of the coupling in the threads of the bottom fitting. It happened to my neighbor and we had to very carefully cut and peel it out.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

so its assumed that all are threaded in ?
    With the spa full of 45 degree water no repairs will happen any time soon

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Drain the spa water into the pool, then you can do all the work you want on the spa. Your automation system should have a "spa drain" option. It will put all f the spa water into the pool. Then do your repairs and then select "spa fill" option to fill the spa.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

10. Back To Top    #10

Havent seen a spa drain option -
    It likely can do it - its just not an option Ive seen yet

I know the pool has a autofill and a drain so I would need to cover the drain

Im also a Diver - Might just go get a tank and use it as an excuse to get wet

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

If you are thinking that your automation system has an auto fill for the pool, you could be mistaken. All automation systems I have ever seen always have a spa drain option and a Spa fill option. Take a picture of the control system and we will confirm it for you.
    Paul

12. Back To Top    #12

There is a fill float in the deck by one of the skimmers and about 4 feet away is what appears to be a overflow
    Its not in the automation its built into the deck

I posted a picture of the home screen in another thread here
    There is no spa fill or spa drain option in any of the screens that I have seen

Share Screen shots of your Aqualink home screen

aqualilnk-home-screen.jpg

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Go out to the panel outside. On the right side of that panel should be a section labled valves. Then you should see the options, Pool Mode, Spa Mode, Spa drain, and Spa Fill. That is what I am talking about. Your indoor unit is where you want to do this from.
    Paul

14. Back To Top    #14

Wow- never looked at that control thing that close

its there .... Cool

btw there are 2 panels outside

15. Back To Top    #15

Well it's 75 in dallas today - removed broken threads in fitting and bought replacement from Home Depot
    leslies wanted $70 for a spa fountain head
    just the head

A 4' section of pvc 2 threaded fittings and a cap and drill resulted in this

i may go buy 3 or 4 more caps and do different drill sizes and patterns just for fun

may also try using this to make a poor mans laminar jet for fun
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Back To Top    #16

LOVE it! Do a slit - to see what it does! That could be fun to play with.

Just know it will push your PH up a little so keep an eye on your tests and have the muratic acid ready.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Well in a moment of late night web shopping weakness I bought the Polaris SPa fountain head
    I think I paid about $25
    I figured it would give me more options
    disapointed
    about half the water is rushing down around the threads
    The whole thing is pretty much cobbled together
    its an eyeball with some plastic all thread and the fountain head. the threaded plastic of lower part of the head isnt "sealed" 360 its just glued in 5 spots around the diameter
    which allows all the pressure to leak out the bottom around those 5 glued spots

The image shows much of the water going DOWN rather than up...
    Water is a little green from the pollen and wind ...fountain-IMG_2885.jpg

in this image you can see one of the glued spots is directly facing the camera and the 1/3 -1/2 inch to left and right of the glue is open to the bottom. IN other words at 6:00 is a narrow glued sectioin and another at about 3 and 9
    Perhaps this is as intended and the base of the head is supposed to be in the water ...

18. Back To Top    #18

after thinking about it its likely as designed to let the water drain out when its not running ...

still disappointed

19. Back To Top    #19

i wonder if some pipe thread would help alleviate the leaking at the bottom.

Also, I've seen this one.
    7-230-00 - ZODIAC POOL CARE INC - FOUNTAINHEAD, 3 TIER, WATERSTAR

I like the one you made---with the cap. You can always adjust the fountain height at your filter to avoid water spraying out of the spa.

20K IG Plaster (1996),
    Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter, Centurion 2.20HP, PB4 Booster Pump. spa spillover, Polaris 280, TF-100; SpeedStir​

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

My fountain just has a standard eyeball fitting. It allows for the use of different diameter openings.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast