Stains from dirt getting in pool

Feb 15, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
The previous owner planted turf to the edge of the coping, but he planted it too high. Runoff from the sprinklers went into the pool. There are now brownish stains in two corners of the pool floor where dirt-laden water entered. The stains are about 3 feet wide by 6 feet long.

I am assuming these are mineral stains. What is the best way to remove the stains? As a test, I scraped a very small area of the stain with a smooth rock and it cleaned it up. Is this something that can be done with a "pool eraser" on the end of a telescoping pool? My pool chemistry is usually pretty solid. Occasionally my FC gets a bit high in the winter when outside temperatures drop but I get it under control quickly. TFP members have been very helpful with all my questions in the past, so thanks in advance!

Are you sure it's not just dirt?

What color is the stain? Dirt usually doesn't stain.

Hold a triclor puck against the stain for a few minutes if it goes away it's organic. Hold an aspirin against it. Does that work its iron.

I would not be scraping.

Identify the stain as organic or inorganic.

organic - get a tri-chlor puck and hold it in contact with the stain for perhaps five minutes......if the stain is gone, it is organic.

Inorganic - crush vitamin C tablets (not aspirin) into pieces and put in a sock. hold the sock down onto the stain for five minutes or more. If the stain is gone, it is inorganic.

Post back with the results and we'll discuss how to get rid of it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chris B.,

Thanks so much for the offer. I'd love to take you up on it but I am absolutely slammed at work right now, so Downey is a bit far for me. The $30 for pucks here in Culver City might be cheaper than the gas to Downey. Once I'm done testing, I'll let you know and maybe you could come and get the extra pucks!

Quick update and request for advice here... I used the stainless steel brush with no luck. The stain is just too stubborn. Someone recommended putting down a layer of chlorine granules on the effected areas and letting it sit for a while to remove the stain. I did notice that wherever I had put the chlorine pucks, the stain was noticeably reduced over time. Any thoughts?

That means it is an organic stain. Raise your FC to shock level for your CYA or a little lower and brush daily. That should help reduce/remove the stains. [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.