Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid Chlorine

Quick question, As I am about to assume service on my new pool, I have been checking out what the local pool supply has. They Sell HASA SANI-Clor in refillable containers. Is that just regular Chlorine like bleach but at 12.5%?

Thanks
    Build Date 11/18/15 - 14K IG Gemstone (Pebble) pool, Hayward EcoStar Variable Speed Pump, 425sf SwimClear Cartridge Filter, Polaris 280 Pool Sweep with Booster Pump, Hayward Command 4 control system, GVA-24 Actuator, LED Light, Water Fall

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquid Chlorine

Probably. Chlorine, bleach, "shock", and "sani-chlor" are all just sodium hypochlorite. It's all the same thing just at different strengths in different shiny packages. Look at the active ingredient on the box/jug.
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Look what I found! I bet this helps!

http://www.poolwater.com/msds/vendor/Hasa/Sani-Clor.pdf

Make sure there is high turn over as it can/will degrade over time in the sun. My place gets a new tank about twice a week during the summer.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks
    Build Date 11/18/15 - 14K IG Gemstone (Pebble) pool, Hayward EcoStar Variable Speed Pump, 425sf SwimClear Cartridge Filter, Polaris 280 Pool Sweep with Booster Pump, Hayward Command 4 control system, GVA-24 Actuator, LED Light, Water Fall

5. Back To Top    #5

I like the concept of using refillable containers. I know store bleach can be cheaper but I got sick of the large, numerous containers. I wish a store by me did this. I don't mind the extra cost of pool store bleach b/c of the convenience and higher concentration.
    Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LED lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter) Robot: Doheny's Dolphin Discovery

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes. The HASA stuff is just extra-strength bleach. It's what I use.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Just got a 4 pack!

8. Back To Top    #8

I hope you get a 6 pack for you! LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Ha! I can get 6-packs easily. Wish I could get HASA here in IL. I recycle my bleach containers with much guilt!

10. Back To Top    #10

That is another reason I was willing to get our new pool.......A Ace Hardware was built that is very easy for me to get to for my chlorine. I get four 2.5 gal refillable jugs at a time. Summer time they last me 12 days. Winter=lasting forever! LOL

Kim

11. Back To Top    #11

I use those 4 packs of Hasa chlorine as well. That one of the 4 chemicals I buy from our pool store. Takes me about 8 days to use it all in the summer.
    J.R.

20K IG gunnite pool
    2HP Hayward single speed pump
    Cartridge filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Does anyone know if HASA services Houston?
    24K gallon, IG, plaster, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Filter, Pentair Heater, Pentair Intelliflo pump, Built in March 2015, Taylor K-2006, Spa included

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    Does anyone know if HASA services Houston?
    http://www.hasapool.com/m_hasa.php?ID=3190
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

14. Back To Top    #14

Brian, my pool store over here in League City stocks the 4 packs of HASA 12.5%, Glacier Pool Supplies. They also have another store around Spring.
    J.R.

20K IG gunnite pool
    2HP Hayward single speed pump
    Cartridge filter

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by jrs_diesel View Post
    Brian, my pool store over here in League City stocks the 4 packs of HASA 12.5%, Glacier Pool Supplies. They also have another store around Spring.
    Can you pm me? I don't know if there are rules on the forum where we cannot discuss these kinds of things. Last thing I want is to get kicked off this forum!!!
    Last edited by kimkats; 01-12-2016 at 08:15 AM. Reason: took out email addy and put in pm
    24K gallon, IG, plaster, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Filter, Pentair Heater, Pentair Intelliflo pump, Built in March 2015, Taylor K-2006, Spa included

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks.

17. Back To Top    #17

I took out your email addy and put in for him to pm you BUT you can talk about where you buy bleach/chlorine, etc on the board. It might be helpful for others in your area.

Kim

18. Back To Top    #18

Ok, thanks...I buy 10% liquid chlorine at Home Depot for about $4.75/gallon.

By the way, if you get a Home Depot credit card, you will get 5% off of anything you buy there. All you have to do is use your credit card and remember to ask for the 5%; otherwise, they sometimes won't give you the discount. You will get the 5% discount right then and there.

19. Back To Top    #19

Make sure to check the date codes on Lowes and Home Depot as they do not always have a high turn over.

We had one member buy enough chlorine for a SLAM. That is a LOT of chlorine..........when she added it and tested nothing happened! It was like she had not added anything to her pool. We had her check the date code............the chlorine was over 2 YEARS old! It had degraded so much that it was back to "water"! They gave her her money back. She went to Walmart and got the store brand 8.25% and got her pool clear.

Kim