harline crack in coping - what to do? epoxy or some other product?

Drockfresh

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2012
Austin, TX
Doing demo for our new deck and we exposed a hairline crack in the coping. Doh!

It's the only crack in the entire coping and I don't have the budget to replace it right now.

I'd like to put something on this crack to help the concrete stay put.

I can wiggle the area with my finger, so it might pop out if I don't glue it down, but it also might stay if I do nothing since it's being held down by the pressure.

I can get underneath it so I'd like to do something before we start framing the deck.

Any ideas? Thank you!

Attachments

• coping 1 .jpg
    coping 1 .jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 198
  • coping 2 .jpg
    coping 2 .jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 201
From the first picture it appears that crack goes through your bond beam. Is that true? If so the problem is far more serious and needs to be corrected before the deck goes back down. If the crack is only in the coping then more than likely the deck O Seal failed and water was able to get to the sub grate and put forces against the coping causing it to move and crack. It's still hard to tell with just those two pictures, hope this helps.

Thanks everyone for responding!

There was a tree near this area that we removed a few years ago. The crack was likely due to the moving of the ground. The pool (thankfully .. knock on wood a million times) has been ok.

@gwegan not sure how to answer your question - "Is this Arvin tile or is that a channel on the backside?" I didn't build the pool, just found it this way :(

Here are a few more pictures.

A few things we considered:

Demo out coping line and use hardwood (but wood won't be flush to bullnose (not square coping))

Find replacement coping (don't know if we can find coping and the color would never match)

I guess we hit the wall on this one.

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1256.jpg
    IMG_1256.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1257.jpg
    IMG_1257.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1258.jpg
    IMG_1258.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1259.jpg
    IMG_1259.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Thank you auto correct on the ipad! Is that a thin tile coping or is it thick with a keyed joint?

So looking at the pictures again does the crack extend down below the tile into the pool structure itself? It looks like it does. And there is no cracking in the tile in the corner?

My concern is that your crack is in the pool structure not just the tile. If the tree was the cause and its removed then you should remove the top coping, at least here, and repair the crack with mortar and if necessary staples.

The problems with cracks is they allow water to penetrate the structure and eat the rebar which is the structure that in general prevents the massive hunk of concrete we call a pool from cracking. No rebar innards the gunite pool cracks.

The crack you have is especially worrysome because its at the top of the structure, known as the bond beam, the area of the pool that has the most varied environmental exposure and is most vulnerable to degradation. This problem won't manifest itself for years but you need to address it now.

It looks big enough that I would probably want someone who has done pool crack repair to give you their opinion. Generally its more that slapping some mortar in and replacing the coping.

My concern is that your crack is in the pool structure not just the tile. If the tree was the cause and its removed then you should remove the top coping, at least here, and repair the crack with mortar and if necessary staples.

I appreciate the detailed response.

Yes - some of the tile has fallen off a few times in that area and Yes there is a crack under the tiles (high up) but it doesn't extend into the pool (that I can see)

I didn't know it could do long term damage and needs to be addressed.

I have put so so so much money into this old pool.. can't believe this.

going to cry now. :( !!

OK - we found the crack under the tile line. How do we fix this? Mortar- staples?

I know a great concrete crew (they do better work than the pool company).

What should I tell them to do?

I also put up another post in case anybody searches looking specifically for help on crack repair and staples.

Thanks!

David

Attachments

• IMG_1268.jpg
    IMG_1268.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 107
53094849dd68aeee8381908078c33920.jpg

Well - we found the tree roots in the side of the pool - it's remodel time :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.