Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair VS Settings and run Schedule

1. Back To Top    #1

Mesa, AZ

Pentair VS Settings and run Schedule

Hi all,
    so far everything is going well with my new pool. Testing water with Taylor 2006 every 3 days. Decided to wait till spring to fire up the SWG, so right now I am just using 10% sodium hypochlorite. My pump is set up to run for 6 hours a day at 2600 RPM. Does anyone in AZ have a Pentair VS in which they have set up run schedules etc. I need to run at a min of 2600 rpm to operate my in-floor cleaning system. However, I am not sure if I should run at a higher RPM for awhile then drop to a lower RPM just to keep circulation.

Happy new year

Freeform /620 Surface/110 perimeter/20k gal/ Raised bond beam/Baja shelf (2)//Pentair- Intelliflo VS pump, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp// Easytouch, C&C 520 Cartridge, Intellichlor SWCG// A&A- Magnasweep in-floor, LeafVac, Venturi Skimmer,// Mini-pebble (Aqua Blue w abalone shell)//4 Pentair Globrite LEDs//3 sheer descents//Travertine coping and decking.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Riverside, CA

Re: Pentair VS Settings and run Schedule

That is exactly what you should do.

Run the floor cleaners for the amount of time that it takes to adequately clean the pool and then switch to a low speed, say 1200 RPM for the remainder of the chlorine production time for the SWG.

The floor cleaners do a great job of quickly circulating the water, but most pools do not have floor jets and they circulate just fine. No need to waste electricity and wear and tear on expensive parts just to run the pump longer for chlorine production.

I would think your cleaning cycle would be no more than an hour. The rest can be on a low speed. 4 hours a day is adequate for this time of year. I run about 10-11 hours during the summer.
    33K In ground Pool/Spa, IntelliFlo, IntelliChlor SWG, Easytouch, ScreenLogic, MasterTemp 400, Quad 100, IntelliPH, MiniPebble, Dolphin Z5, POOL BUILD

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pentair VS Settings and run Schedule

I have a Pentair Inteliflow pump, A&A in floor cleaning system, a SWG, and a solar heating system. The cleaning system has 6 zones, each head runs 1.25 min. The heads have 12 positions, so a complete cleaning cycle requires 1.25 min X 6 zones X 12 or 1.5 hours.

My run schedule in the summer uses four different speeds.

Pump Run Schedule

RPM Wattage Purpose Start/Stop Hrs

1,000 100 Extra Filtration 4 pm /11 pm..7
    1,400 200 Chlorinate 8 am/4 pm........8
    2,800 1,300 Cleaning 5 am/8 am........3

External Program
    2,550 950 Solar Controller On Demand 40 gpm

The pump runs 18 hrs a day but most of it is at a power draw of 100 or 200 watts (vs my old pump's nearly 3,000 watt draw). The SWG requires 1200 rpm, (I use 1400 just to be safe). The in floor needs 2,800 rpm to work effectively, and three hours provides two full cleaning cycles. During the day, the solar system ramps up the pump speed to 2,550 if heat is called for and is available at the collectors. The rest of the time the pump just runs at 1,000 rpm, drawing only 100 watts.

During the off season, I just run the three hour a day cleaning cycle. 3 hrs @ 2,800 rpm. It's plenty enough to clean and chlorinate the pool.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit