Silver Supporter
Dec 20, 2015
Arnold md.
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I am a new pool onwer in the Annapolis Md. area, and was sold a mineral pool. We recently just built our pool and closed it in December, opened in October... have yet to use the mineral set up as we were just using chlorine since we were not really going to use the pool in November.

I have seen many items about how bad mineral pools may be but my question is what good is in them? Is there anyone out there with a mineral pool that is happy with it?

The PB seems to swear by them as long as your pool stays balanced but I don't know anything yet as I have yet to use it.

Thanks

The bottom line is that the minerals, silver, zinc and copper in different systems, are practical only as an algaecide in pool use because of their extremely slow kill times on pathogens. That means that they will keep your water looking good, but they don't sanitize the water.

Since a mineral system doesn't reduce or eliminate the need for a sanitizer such as chlorine, those systems are a supplement at best. But since chlorine does sanitize the water and control algae, the use of the mineral system gives little benefit. Add in the fact that metals in the mineral system can stain pool surfaces and swimmers' hair, there is really little good about them.

Welcome :wave:

Thanks for joining TFP and doing your research here. We do not advocate the use of mineral ion systems (copper and silver) as they are generally more expensive than just using chlorine (if you follow our methods), they have slow kill rates for most pathogens and the potential for damage to pool surfaces (scaling and staining) is too great.

Use the search box at the top right corner of the homepage and search for terms like -

"alternative sanitizers"
"mineral systems"

You will find lots of threads written in the topic.

Typically speaking, for a new pool owner and a new pool, using chlorine will be your cheapest and easiest method of sanitation. Please read through the articles in Pool School to learn all about what it is we advocate here and ask as many questions as you like.

Best wishes,

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

ok that makes sense...my auto chlorinator is also in the same spot as the Mineral cartridge area. Its a Nutri Fusion 2 system... we were sold on the idea that we were getting a salt pool and when the contract was written it said mineral, to me that meant salt... but guess what, I was wrong. At any rate the PB did say if we were not happy with it he would make it salt and eat the cost. So we will see how it works out this summer...thanks again.

If you can get the system replaced with a salt system at no additional cost I would jump on that right away. Mineral systems are a continuous cost, replacing the mineral cartridges as well as their overpriced trichlor dispensers. Using an SWG and following the TFPC methods is extremely cost effective and almost always leads to far better water quality than a mineral system.

I offer this as a former Frog System user who is extremely happy with the difference in my water. I use manual chlorination with liquid chlorine rather than an SWG, but the results are the same: a significang increase in water clarity and significant decrease in upkeep time and cost.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

As others have pointed out, if the PB will swap out the mineral system for a SWCG - go for it!! But, expect push back and a whole host of reasons why the "mineral" is better for you and your family. I have no proof, but I have a suspicion that some mineral manufacturers pay pool builders a spiff for installing them.

Switch it out!!!! There is really no reason not to, especially if the PB said he would at not cost! I wouldn't wait to see, you are going to be putting unnecessary chemicals in your pool that will stay there for a long time and could cause issues don the road.

Get yourself a good testkit too, btw!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.