Artificial Turf Near a SWG Pool?

we just went to the home show and felt everything from every turf vendor. reconfirmed what we already liked from last year's show. It's a thinner blade, no reinforcing spine. American made 15 year warranty, also about $8 sgft. But it's soooo soft. all we have is a small dog and not a lot of traffic.

Sounds a lot like what we installed. Did the mix some brown and yellow blades in to give it a more "authentic" look?

It does get hot in the direct AZ sunlight. In the hot summer it might be too hot for a dog to lay on but perfect just about any other time of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Very nice looking!! Are you going to rock those areas around the trees?

I LOVE MY TURF!! It's so easy to take care of. A leaf blower (I have one of those Toro's that also suck up leaves into a bag) and a turf rake is all you need to keep it looking groomed and snappy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Very nice looking!! Are you going to rock those areas around the trees?

I LOVE MY TURF!! It's so easy to take care of. A leaf blower (I have one of those Toro's that also suck up leaves into a bag) and a turf rake is all you need to keep it looking groomed and snappy.

What make/model of turf did you get? How did you compare turf quality among companies?

What make/model of turf did you get? How did you compare turf quality among companies?

We decided on our turf by going to our local Home Show (Southern AZ Home Builders Association, SAHBA Home Show). There we saw many different landscapers and turf installers. It seemed like almost each guy used his own preferred brand of turf and, when we hired our landscape architect to do the layout, we gave him our choice for the turf sub to use. I honestly don't remember the particular name brand of the turf that we used, I just know the subcontractor that we worked with to get the turf. He only used one brand and we liked his work and the quality of the turf.

This stuff is pretty regional. You can go to a place like Home Depot and look at turf but my understanding is that stuff is typically very low quality. I would suggest if you don't have a local home show to go to that you call around to landscapers and let them know you're interested in turf but that you need to see samples and give them a feel first. Your local landscape contractors may very well be willing to give you a list of their preferred turf suppliers and then you can go from there to try to get samples or visit showrooms if thats available.

Good luck.

We decided on our turf by going to our local Home Show (Southern AZ Home Builders Association, SAHBA Home Show). There we saw many different landscapers and turf installers. It seemed like almost each guy used his own preferred brand of turf and, when we hired our landscape architect to do the layout, we gave him our choice for the turf sub to use. I honestly don't remember the particular name brand of the turf that we used, I just know the subcontractor that we worked with to get the turf. He only used one brand and we liked his work and the quality of the turf.

This stuff is pretty regional. You can go to a place like Home Depot and look at turf but my understanding is that stuff is typically very low quality. I would suggest if you don't have a local home show to go to that you call around to landscapers and let them know you're interested in turf but that you need to see samples and give them a feel first. Your local landscape contractors may very well be willing to give you a list of their preferred turf suppliers and then you can go from there to try to get samples or visit showrooms if thats available.

Good luck.

Thanks! I have a few coming for in home measurement/estimate, so I assume they'll bring samples. My only concern is that I won't be able to compare side by side so it'll be by memory.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks! I have a few coming for in home measurement/estimate, so I assume they'll bring samples. My only concern is that I won't be able to compare side by side so it'll be by memory.

Honestly, I would call any installer coming in and ask them to bring a sample of their preferred turf and ask them to leave it. They can easily cut you a 2x2 patch that you can walk on and feel. It shouldn't cost you anything for that (just like getting carpet swatches).

Also, many turf brands will have an specific "orientation" to them, you put them down so that they bend in one direction. That way, when you're looking at it, it looks real. Looking at it from the opposite direction does not look as real.

And if you put it on a steep slope and wet it down, you can ski down it too...just like the ski jumps at Lake Placid in summertime.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.