Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Valve problem

1. Back To Top    #1
    The Woodlands, TX

Valve problem

Turned to spa mode last night and found the spa drained. Put into service mode this morning and turned pool on to fill spa then put in spa mode to check on Jandy valve rotation and sure enough the spa side turned correctly, but other 3 way "chattered" but would not turn. Is Jandy shot or is there something else causing this? I've included a pic of my setup. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

32 x 15 15500 gal. IG gunite, 6 ft. round attached spa, diamond brite 2 plaster, flagstone coping w/concrete spray deck, IntelliChlor IC-40 SWG, 2 hp Max-E-Pro pump, 450 sq.ft. System 3 cartridge filter, 400k Max-E-Therm NG heater, automation is IntelliTouch i7+3, Polaris 280 pressure side cleaner,
    TS 100, Borax

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Valve problem

Maybe you can rebuild the valve instead of replacing it. From other threads I've read hear about spas draining to pool level is problem with check valve.
    Parts for Jandy Valve 3 Port Jandy 1154,3344,2875,2877 Valve 3 Port Valves, Swimming Pool Valve Parts
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

If the automated valve is making a clicking sound then it has broken and needs to be replaced. Once you remove the automated control from the valve body, you can use a handle to confirm the valve itself is working correctly. BTW, this is a very common issue with these automated valves controls, they break from time to time.

A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Fort Myers, Florida

I would check the actuator first, use the toggle switch on back of valve to see if it moves the valve..
    The system doesn't have to be on to test it..
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Jandy Automation /w IAqualink
    Autopilot SWG
    Jandy 2.0 HP VSP, Filter Cartridge
    Taylor (FAS-DPD K-2600, Pool Surface: Plaster

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry
    Silicon Valley, CA

If it chatters or clicks remove the actuator, remove the handle from the actuator, and put it on the valve (you'll see), and try rotating the valve by hand. If you can rotate it freely from pool to spa as the actuator does, replace the actuator. If you can't, take the valve apart and find out what is jammed in there and remove.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.