First ever test, did something wrong with FC

Oct 25, 2015
Queensland
So I broke open my test kit since I have had the pool for 2 weeks and done nothing with it.

Since this is my first ever test, I am not very confident, especially in the FC results, so I wanted to start this thread to document my testing and learning over the next few days. I am mainly concerned by the pH result for now, with further worries, slighty less urgently about too high FC (if I got it the test right) too high TA and too low CH

FC 18.5
CC 0
pH 8.2 (maybe higher this was the max test value)
TA 175
CH 50
CYA 60

I am assuming that some acid to reduce pH would be a good move now, while I fine tune my testing skills over coming days.

pH tends to read high with FC greater than 10. Your first priority should be to let your FC drift back to around your target FC for CYA of 60. BUTcan you confirm what your issue is regarding the testing of the FC levels.
How is water looking?

Water looks fine.
I had the SWG on high (six lights on the display) for two hours during the day and approx 4 hours at night; this was how it was left to me when I moved in. Although I'm still trying to understand exactly how tImers and such are set up. I have dropped it down a couple of notches (to 3 lights so I guess 50%) now that I have started testing and will monitor. I hadn't really associated the fact that the SWG is on when the pump is on, and I had turned the pump on for an extra couple of hours over the last two days to hoover up a bit of sandy / dusty residue following a particulalry swindy couple of nights

Re the test itself, I don't have a speed stir and don't think I was swirling enough; but rather than instantly repeat it, I thought I'd sit down calmly, re read all the intructions nd how to's and run through the suite of tests tomorrow. In the meantime, I did add some pH decreaser but I'll know better next time ;-)

Yes with your SWG its a matter of finding your sweet spot where your FC is holding relatively steady. With daily testing for FC you'll be able to tinker between pump run time and the SWG percentage to find out what works for your pool.

The FC test is pretty hard to mess up. Just keep swirling steadily while adding drops about 1 drop per second until your sample is clear-works pretty well for me. Believe me you get more confident with more practice.

I don't have a speed stir either :( It was on my Santa list but he did not bring it.

You can't really do the FC test wrong. I hold the tube and make sure to swirl until I cannot see any more of the powder. After that I just have to give it a couple of good swirls as I add drops. I have done it so much now I can tell what the results will be before I do the test! You will get there.

I bet your high FC is due to your SWG. Can you turn it off for right now? That way the FC can come down on it's own.

Kim

So, day 2
Some growth in confidence, some mistakes!
pH looked around 8 but after the high FC yesterday I decided not to focus too much on it
FC 15 (although I wonder if I could have addded another drop, in hindsight I should have had something white to work against)
CC 0.5
CH 50 (2 drops, same as yesterday, so happy I can do tht test OK!)
TA 125 (probably a more accurate result than yesterdays rather than a change in chemisty as my swirling technique improves)
CYA ?!*! I wasn't going to test since it wasn't very bright out, but thought, give it a go it will be good practice, just before spilling the sample. Doh!

I will keep monitoring and maybe drop the SWG down depending on tomorrows results. Water still looks good although there was some sediment as the pool cleaner didn't run last night as I was having issues with the skimmer creating a vortex and sucking in air. This started after cleaning the filter and improving the flow, so I adjusted the valve to the pump lessening the flow. I also discovered that when not cleaning it's good form to have a weir door on the skimmer, so I fitted the one I found on the equiment pad!

Another day, another lesson

Your FC endpoint for testing should be water clear. If there is any slight hint of pink then you need to add the final drop or two and include it in your total.

Keep working that FC down. Have you turned off your SWG? You really want to get it down so you can get an accurate pH reading.

Your FC endpoint for testing should be water clear. If there is any slight hint of pink then you need to add the final drop or two and include it in your total.

Keep working that FC down. Have you turned off your SWG? You really want to get it down so you can get an accurate pH reading.

Thanks Jezza, I realsied the bit about the end point. It's my inexperience; I know the theory but am getting used to the practical application and since I didn't have a white background I'm not 100% sure it was totally clear. So, I'll pay more attention today.

I didn't turn the SWG off, I wanted to see what a few days of running lower, and without any additional run time, would have, it's going off after todays test, results permitting. And thank you to you, kimkats and TFP for the hand-holding :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, Day 3. All seems pretty consistent with the exception of a slightly lower CYA (probably down to lighting conditions or the fact this is only the second ever time i have done it). TA was the same but one of the drops appeared to bubble slightly and was maybe only half a drop....

FC 15
CC 0.5
TA 125
CH 50
CYA 50

Time to get the SWG cranked right down/off for a couple of days and keep testing. I'm nervous about turning off my source of clorine but know it makes sense if I am to try and get a balance. Thanks again to those that keep dropping in on my newbie diary.

If you turn off your swg and retest for FC tomorrow it will give you a good indication of how much FC you are losing. Normal loss should be about 2 to 3 FC a day in our summer weather notwithstanding pool exposure to the sun, bather load and any organic matter in your pool.

Your FC level is holding up well so there shouldn't be any problems with turning it off and getting down below 10 and then getting that pH reading.

CYA is tricky to master but you get more confident with practice.

Day 4
Had quite a lot of rain, and turned the SWG down to minimum
pH still showing as 8.2+ but not paying it much notice
FC 13 down 2 much in line with Jezza's
TA 100 - 125 ( 4 drops changed to dark purple, 5 to bright pink)
CH 50
CYA 45 - 50

Going in the right direction. Will continue testing CC and report back tomorrow. More hesitant about my CYA testing now as I have has a different result every day from 60 down to 45, but happy that there is some and happy I can get things better tuned once the real pH is understood and the SWG is ticking over.

Hi Crmdgnly,

CYA is considered to have about +/-15 so I wouldn't get too hung up on it. In fact I wouldn't worry too much about the other tests other than FC until you can get that back in range. It will also save on using up your reagents. Just keep the SWG off and retest daily.

Obviously if you are wanting the practice that's different but just thought I would mention it anyway.

Just wondering what test kit you were using as well and whether you had a lot of refill reagents?

Hi Crmdgnly,

CYA is considered to have about +/-15 so I wouldn't get too hung up on it. In fact I wouldn't worry too much about the other tests other than FC until you can get that back in range. It will also save on using up your reagents. Just keep the SWG off and retest daily.

Obviously if you are wanting the practice that's different but just thought I would mention it anyway.

Just wondering what test kit you were using as well and whether you had a lot of refill reagents?

I did want to practice, but came to the same realisation about only needing to test FC for now.
I'm using Clear Choice Labs and have what came in their stndard kit. If I need to order more then have been very prompt with orders (subject to availability). I got a standard pH kit from Bunnings since CCL wasnt avaiable when I ordered. They just kindly sent me a small version of their new pH kit, after adressing the increments issue (was 0.5, now 0.2). I'm relatively happy with the kit so far, I've had a couple of times when maybe an extra drop has escaped too quickly but I'm putting that down to inexperience. I really like their numbered, step by step system. Hopefully it works out for me and my pool.

Thanks again for your pateince and perseverance

Day 5
Really happy with todays FC test, it went swimmingly if you pardon the pun
FC 10 (it may have actually been 9.5 with the last drop but I'm going with 10 for now)
CC 0.5 (went the lightest pink and one drop cleared it up)
pH ? Really struggled with this. Use a HyChlor test and it looked a touch lighter than the 8.2 on the comparator. So I tried an old Aussie Gold one I had laying around and really couldn't distinguish between 7.8 and 8.2 on the comparator. Tried the Clear Choice Labs and that comparator went to 7.8 and the way they have it set, the liquid sample isn't side by side with the comparator scale so it's hard to judge, I'd say it looked darker then the 7.8 on the scale. So I'm suggesting it's higher than 7.8. I think if I drop it down a little I might be able to compare the colour better.

I'll test again tomorrow, see if the SWG needs turning up and then maybe work out how much to drop the pH by unless anyone thinks it wouldn't hurt to add 450ml pH decreaser. Pool math says this will drop it by .35 so I should be able to get a better reading unless it's really above 8.2. That will put me in a good place to further lower pH, aerate to bring the pH up and add some calcium.

I've used the pH test from HyChlor and IMO it is really difficult to match the colours so I never use it- so I would probably tend to disregard it completely. The Aussie Gold one is actually alright in my experience and I am using that at the moment as I have run out of my Taylor reagent. Interesting to hear your feedback on the pH test from Clearchoice labs and when I looked at their improved version my initial reaction was that it would be difficult to read as the comparator is not side by side.

Your on the money with your strategy but I would tend to let that FC drop a little bit further which should be fine- keeping in mind that your higher CYA reading was 60. So tomorrow take a pH reading being clearly under the 10FC mark. Assuming your pH is high prepare with the intention of adding your acid to bring it down. But yes as suggested bring it down slowly until you can get a clear idea of where your pH actually is. Just wondering what your pH decreaser actually is?

Just wondering what your pH decreaser actually is?

It's Aqua-Health Liquid pH decreaser (32-24% hydrochloric acid). The previous owner left it. I was going to use it up and then probably get a 5litre bottle of hydrochloric acid from Bunnings for $15 or Masters $15.90 (but there is code for 10% off at Masters starting Monday so I'm looking at what else I might need)

Day 6
Very happy with the FC test again
FC 7.5
CC 0.5
pH pretty sketchy as per yesterday HyChlor looked about 8 - 8.2, Aussie Gold looked about 7.6 Clear Choice probaby 7.6, hard to say.
Next steps:
Turn the SWG on again, hopefully tonight
Lower the pH; this might have to wait until saturday but I'm working on the assumption it really is about 7.6 or so, so it's safe to wait
Aerate to raise pH / lower TA (previoulsy in the 100-125 region, aiming for 70)
Retest the CYA
Look for advice from this friendly forum on the low CH and longer term balance use of CSI etc
I'v been making assumptions that Salt is OK, I don't have a test but the SWG hasn't ndicated it's low so it's on my list to get one but I'm guessing it's not urgent
Thanks again anyone who drops by, I hope my learning curve helps others

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.