Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sand Blasted Colored Concrete

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand Blasted Colored Concrete

Wondering if anyone has ever had someone suggest this for their pool decking. If so and you could share pictures I'd love to see them.
    IG 16 x 50 Gunite. 3.5' - 9' depth 37,400 gallons 146LF perimeter and 863 square feet, 3 skimmers, 3 Pentair LED lights, 2 main drains, 6 pool returns, 1 vacuum line, 1 Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, 7x7 Spa attached with 1 Pentair LED Light raised 15 inches and 6 HydroAir Jets, 2 HP blower, Pentair DE60 Filter, Pentair Intellitouch I-7 w/Wireless remote, Pentair SWG 400k BTU Heater, Glacier Chiller. My 2015-2016 build thread.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand Blasted Colored Concrete

I have not seen it done but it makes sense in that it is used to "clean" paint and rust off of metal so I bet it would work on decking. BUT they would need to use care to not destroy the concrete as I bet it would "eat" it if they are not careful.

I wonder if a good power wash would do anything?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

No, this is for a new pour. The concrete will be colored and then blasted to created a interesting but non skid surface. I've seen pictures of the end results but would like to hear from someone who has lived with it. Other option is acid etched but I am worried about it being slick.

4. Back To Top    #4

Well that is a new one on me! I would LOVE to see some pics please. Have you seen the salt concrete?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

My pool build was done with pour in place colored concrete coping. They acid etched after the pour which gave it a rough texture that is not slippery at all.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

6. Back To Top    #6

Never heard of that process. Mine is rock salt finished and colored tan with a color hardener. Not slick at all, looks great after 3-1/2 years and NO maintenance. Also, not too hot. Pics in build thread, link in sig.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Here are some pictures of various types of sandblasted colored concrete.

IG 16 x 50 Gunite. 3.5' - 9' depth 37,400 gallons 146LF perimeter and 863 square feet, 3 skimmers, 3 Pentair LED lights, 2 main drains, 6 pool returns, 1 vacuum line, 1 Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, 7x7 Spa attached with 1 Pentair LED Light raised 15 inches and 6 HydroAir Jets, 2 HP blower, Pentair DE60 Filter, Pentair Intellitouch I-7 w/Wireless remote, Pentair SWG 400k BTU Heater, Glacier Chiller. My 2015-2016 build thread.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Itsjustme0770 View Post
    No, this is for a new pour. The concrete will be colored and then blasted to created a interesting but non skid surface. I've seen pictures of the end results but would like to hear from someone who has lived with it. Other option is acid etched but I am worried about it being slick.
    If you are primarily concerned with a skid free surface, it is hard to beat the old school brushed surface.

As for sandblasting, the skid-free results will depend on the grit used. I can only imagine that there is an inverse relationship in the grit size and quality of appearance and the variation in mottling means variation in depth of cut.... I don't know if you could feel that, or not.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes. Appreciated the brushed, but really need some finished look to the concrete.

Would love to hear from others about acid etched. The concrete will be colored throughout so we only need to etch, not stain. If the etching process will not leave a slick surface that's fine with us.

10. Back To Top    #10

I have acid finished colored (tan) concrete decking. Completely NOT slippery. Concrete is poured and allowed to set for a day or two then two guys brushed in and rinsed muriatic acid (with full face respirators on). Very simple and looks great. No troubles 3+ years out.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks a ton. If you have a picture you'd be willing to share I'd love to see it.

12. Back To Top    #12

The portion above the deck drain is acid finished concrete (pool deck). The section below the drain is rock-salt finished (walkways). The concrete used for those pours are identical (same batch). When the concrete is wet, the sidewalk is darker than the pool deck because of the finish differences.

Acid finishing done properly will be very uniform. I'm not sure how that compares to sand blasting but, like a lot of this stuff, it's really dependent on the skills and experience of the decking sub. I would not ask a particular sub to do anything they have not done in the past. If they do sand blasting primarily than asking them to do an acid etch could yield sub-par results.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks. You are sure right. They do both and have pictures for both. They are also doing the cabana foundation. This question is mostly a nervous owner driven one I think.

14. Back To Top    #14

In this picture you can see the acid etched coping next to the non acid etched stamped deck.

Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

15. Back To Top    #15

That picture helps a ton. Really looks great. Thanks.

16. Back To Top    #16

The sharing in this tread is what makes TFP the greatest place on the web! LOVE IT!

Kim

17. Back To Top    #17

Ive seen it done on commercial buildings after the fact where there was a too-high instance of slip and fall.
    In the end - the acid smells bad, but the sandblasting makes a huge mess that hangs around for a while...Acid is a much more common occurrence because of the mess. Ive also see acid etched granite shower floors.
    With colored concrete you have to me mindful of the acid application because too much in a low spot (as low as 1/16") can cause discoloration in that area.
    O/B Woodland Hills, CA : O/B12x30 inground with 6x6 10-jet spa, 10,500gal, 6' Baja deck, 42" spillway, All Jandy: 400k heater, 2.7 HP VS pump, 1.5HP booster spa pump, SWG, Intellelink controls, (4) LED lights, cartridge filter and BlueSquareQ360 infloor cleaning system, Eclipse drain, glass tiles, Zanzibar white pebble finish. Broke ground 2/18/2016, completed 8/16/2016. TFT 100 kit.

18. Back To Top    #18

Sandblasting is great. I have my patio deck done with sandblasting. The surface treatment works best with the integral color concrete instead of the surface color concrete. We choose our concrete patio with Davis color call Slate or something like that. It is a nice dark grey when wet but pretty light when dry. The coloring is mixed in the concrete so it is uniform through out the mix. Then they came with a sandblasting machine to give it a matte uniform none slippery surface. Looks very modern and clean, not the typical shying surface you see with the surface color concrete. We love ours. I will try to take some pic tomorrow when light. If you are going for a modern and high end kind of finish, this is way to go. We considered acid etch too, but just not sure how skillful the applicators are. I did a lot of research when deciding the surface treatment for the patio deck and really happy about the sandblasting. The architecture designer for my project was hesitant to use this method and integral colored concrete at the beginning and kept telling me I should do the stamp surface concrete.... I am glad that I stay with my guts and in the end she agreed with me about using this type of finish since NY project is clean line and none fuzzy and modern.

72' X 10' IG pool with infinity edge spa and in pool dry deck completed Nov 2014. Pentair 3 HP VS pump for pool and spa. Pentair Challenger 3 HP for three 3 feet sheer decent water features. Pentair MasterTemp Heater and QUAD D.E. Filter.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by cchopkins View Post
    Sandblasting is great. I have my patio deck done with sandblasting. The surface treatment works best with the integral color concrete instead of the surface color concrete. We choose our concrete patio with Davis color call Slate or something like that. It is a nice dark grey when wet but pretty light when dry. The coloring is mixed in the concrete so it is uniform through out the mix. Then they came with a sandblasting machine to give it a matte uniform none slippery surface. Looks very modern and clean, not the typical shying surface you see with the surface color concrete. We love ours. I will try to take some pic tomorrow when light. If you are going for a modern and high end kind of finish, this is way to go. We considered acid etch too, but just not sure how skillful the applicators are. I did a lot of research when deciding the surface treatment for the patio deck and really happy about the sandblasting. The architecture designer for my project was hesitant to use this method and integral colored concrete at the beginning and kept telling me I should do the stamp surface concrete.... I am glad that I stay with my guts and in the end she agreed with me about using this type of finish since NY project is clean line and none fuzzy and modern.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    im interested in seeing these pictures if you have time to post them. Thanks!
    Starting Monday 4/18/16...18x39x30x14 L vinyl liner pool. All Hayward equipment: Tristar pump, 300K BTU heater, s310 sand filter, T-15 swg, Omnilogic. 2-12v universal color logic lights + 1-320 accent light on the steps, Latham gold pebble liner. Tf-100 test kit

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Itsjustme0770 View Post
    Wondering if anyone has ever had someone suggest this for their pool decking. If so and you could share pictures I'd love to see them.
    I'm new to TFP and doing lots of research for our upcoming pool build which is how I came across this old thread.

To achieve our overall look, one of the design choices that is being recommend to us is the sandblasted concrete. Did you decide to go with that finish on your decking? If so, I'd love to see pictures and know if you are happy with the results.

We are in the Dallas area too. We haven't gotten a price on that option yet. Do you mind sharing what you were quoted and your sq ft? We have about 950 sq ft of decking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast