Painting a pebblecrete pool

mrcontent

Platinum Supporter
Jan 5, 2013
NSW Australia
Hi I have a concrete in ground coated with pebblecrete. The pool is about 10 years old. I have been thinking of painting the pool a I don't like the water color from the pebblecrete, also the kids have hurt themselves on the abrasive surface. I was cleaning the pool today, and bought a wire brush to brush the pool surface. So I notice what appears to be dust coming from the surface. I can brush it as many times as I like, and it seems to still come off. Whats happening here. Is the concrete coming off in very fine layers between the pebbles. If so what should I do, or could it be something else,like dead algae between the pebbles.

I have been using powder chlorine for about five years.

I want to install a new Pump/filter/chlorinator, but I would like to sort out this issue first.

Should I just drain it, acid wash and water blast it and paint it.

Any advice is welcome, I have had the pool for 10 years, but only now have the time to do anything with it.

Cheers Nige

You have come to the right place to get your pool back in order.

You say you have been using powder chlorine. Can you tell us what kind? Powder chlorine has extra stuff in it that can cause trouble for your pool over time.

How have you been testing your pool? That will give us some insight into your pool as well.

As for painting your plaster...........NOT a good idea. It will not last long at all THEN you have an even bigger mess on your hands as it starts to chip away :(

Kim

Painting has never been reported very successfully here on the forum...........it just doesn't seem to last as long as you would hope.

It will be completely impossible for the forum to tell you what's coming off your pool surface.......it could be several things. Time to lower the water level down a bit, get a resurfacing pro out to actually visit and look at the problem and then try figure the cause. We can all guess but I wouldn't place much merit on those guesses.

Hi And thanks for your replies.

I have been using HI-Chlor stabilised chlorine. Have been getting my pool water tested by the pool shop every 6 months or so, and using strips in between the pool shop tests.

Holiday season here at the moment, so no one is open. Next week I will try to get someone out to have a look.
Is there anything I should ask him?

Cheers Nige

Australian Test Kit

Here is a link to a thread about where to get your own test kit. We have found the "guess-strips" are not accurate at all and can cause big problems as they are so far off. Pool stores are not much better I am sorry to say :(

Balanced water is the number one way to take care of your pool plaster. I hope you look into getting a good test kit before you do anything to your plaster.

Kim

Thanks for your reply. I have replaced my old pump/filter with a new 28" sand filter and have gone back to a salt water pool using a Saltmate RP20 chlorinator. So all my troubles have gone. After a few days of running the new system the pool looks and feels amazing. No more dust coming off the pebblecrete.
I spent about a hour vacuuming with the new pump on full and it picked up all of this dust that my old system could not move. After a few days of running the robot while the pump was going, everything is great. I can't believe it really.
The old system must have been so inadequate for the pool that it just would pick up the dust that had accumulated on the surface of the pool.

Anyway thanks again, the pool is like its never been before.

I have 2 rust stains I would like to move. They are from things left in the pool with metal on the for a long time. Another story for another time.
so any advice about that would be grateful.

Nige

Last edited:
Put a vitamin C tab on one of the stains and hold it there. If that removes the stain then its iron. If the stain is small and isolated and there is not a problem with your fill water you can gently scrub the stain off with a bunch of vitamin C. If its not isilated or there is iron in your fill water you will have to do a treatment of your pool. See Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.