What is the difference?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sheer vs scupper

Here are two pictures.

The first one is a sheer:

magicfallssheet-2.jpg

This one is a scupper:

cc_stepscupper_01.jpg

Notice how the sheer is longer and more hidden. The scupper is smaller and you can see what it.

I hope this helps.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Picture perfect explanation above, Kimkats!!
    I will add that there are 4-5 different styles of sheer (waterfall, rainfall, etc) in any number of widths and that sheer tend to be higher price per unit, but give much more design options.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you!

5. Back To Top    #5

Note that sheers are a continuous sheet of water. If the sheet remains unbroken, as it hits the water, it will be quieter than a scupper style fountain.

6. Back To Top    #6

When we went to look at pools, interestingly enough, the scupper type was much quieter than the sheers. We were trying to decide between the 2 and my hubby liked the noise from the scuppers-it was quite a soothing sound. But from this forum, I had heard that scuppers were louder than sheers, so I was surprised by it. Maybe the sheers were taller and therefore had more drop than the scuppers we saw.

Kim, thanks for the visual!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Marlahoutex View Post
    When we went to look at pools, interestingly enough, the scupper type was much quieter than the sheers. We were trying to decide between the 2 and my hubby liked the noise from the scuppers-it was quite a soothing sound. But from this forum, I had heard that scuppers were louder than sheers, so I was surprised by it. Maybe the sheers were taller and therefore had more drop than the scuppers we saw.

Kim, thanks for the visual!
    Good point. Sound can vary based on several factors, such as water flow rate, height, turbulence etc. If possible, one should try to see a real world example of the fountain they are considering.

8. Back To Top    #8

Kim's sheer is odd, shouldn't it be a thin ribbon along the length? We have 2 - 3 ft sheers but no water, so I have no first hand experience with this one.
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

9. Back To Top    #9

I think it might be a rainfall...
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

10. Back To Top    #10

The sheer and scupper pictured are not mine. They are examples I found on line. There are MANY versions of both.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit