Hi from NotSmartEnough

Dec 31, 2015
Swindon, UK
Hi, and a Happy New Year from a new TFP forum member!

I've been a pool owner for about 9 years now. When we moved to our current house the pool was a mess and took a lot of hard work to get back to a good state. It's a vinyl-lined above-ground pool, but the garden is on a fairly steep slope, so one end of the pool is level with the lawn and the other is approx 4' above ground level, set in fenced decking.

The pool is closed at the moment, with the water level reduced to below the skimmer and return and all plumbing drained. The pump and chlorine feeder are stored in the garage.

I'm now waiting for mid-March when I can start getting ready for the new season! In the meantime I'll continue work on my DIY automation system, which comprises a Raspberry Pi and Android app.

I would love to see pics of your set up. I am intrigued with how you did the 4' above ground part.

Maybe you can start a thread in the "under construction" area with pictures and all! We LOVE that kind of thing!

Kim

Thanks! Everywhere looks very drab at this time of year; I'll dig out some pics of the pool in sunnier times!

I can't take credit for any of the construction or design; that was all done by the previous owners. They dug into the slope so that the top end of the pool is effectively in-ground, while the lower end is more like a normal above-ground installation with a raised deck around it. One day, money and time allowing, I'd love to replace the whole lot with a bigger concrete pool, and will probably be begging advice and expertise from TFP members!

Rain run off isn't a big problem. There are a couple of springs in the garden where we get standing water, but apart from that it's rare that there's any surface water. If there's extreme rainfall then it tends to run past the pool under the decking and drain away at the front of the house.