Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My home made solar collector

1. Back To Top    #1

My home made solar collector

Hi All.

Just thought I would share a couple of pix of my Solar collector that I have just finished building in the past few days as part of the plumbing upgrade that I have been working on. In the pic that shows it installed, it would seen that the collectors are hidden, but that is just the angle that the photo is taken on.

In 2 days it has raised the pool 7C, from 23 to 30. Bit more of a success than I thought it was going to be.

After I finished Assembly, but before installed on the Roof.

Once installed on the roof.

The pool that it is heating.

Its a pity that the next few days are going to be raining, but will be interesting to see how much the temp goes down in that time anyway.

Neil
    Late 1970's 39000L IG Concrete Pool with Vinyl Liner
    Austral FT55 Sand filter
    Hurlcon E170 Pump Brochure,Manual
    32-40mm Pipe work
    Living in beautiful New Zealand

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My home made solar collector

You KNOW you have to give details! What is it made of? I see the white PVC pipe but am not sure what the black things are-hoses?

That is so neat!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Your right the white pipe is 50mm PVC. The black pipe is just 13mm Irrigation tube, and lots of time. I've not got any assembly pictures, I dont normally remember to take photos at the right times. (Too busy in what I am normally doing at the time.) I'll go and get a close up of the interface at some point, but its raining at the moment, and the pool is filling nicely from the rain.
    Austral FT55 Sand filter
    32-40mm Pipe work

4. Back To Top    #4

That is about 12 degrees Fahrenheit. Frankly I'm surprised. Was that one day?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

That's great!
    Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LED lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter) Robot: Doheny's Dolphin Discovery

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    That is about 12 degrees Fahrenheit. Frankly I'm surprised. Was that one day?
    That was over 2 days. All the heat has gone now due to the rain, but come Monday should be nice and fine again
    Austral FT55 Sand filter
    32-40mm Pipe work

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi from the 'naki. Would love to see pics of how you did the connections
    6000 gal, AG vinyl, Intex ultra frame 16ft, 1200 Gallon Sand Filter, DIY Solar, Clear Choice Labs Testing Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Yeh, I'd like to see the connections too and well done. Will you be painting the PVC pipe?
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners