Should I complain? Normal mottling of white plaster pool?

1adam1

Dec 7, 2015
Las Vegas,NV
My pool is 4 weeks old and the pool PB has been servicing the pool once a week. The only thing that was added at startup was a gallon of muriatic acid on the first day that the pool was completely filled. I had found the forum after the first few days to educate myself because after the 1st day, no one was checking the chemistry levels and I didn't feel that a full week should go by without attending to the water chemistry. On the 3rd day, I insisted that the manager that had been in charge of the construction, check the water to make sure. He stuck a test strip in the water and said, your fine. The next day I cracked open the PoolMaster test kit, that I was provided along with my pool brush, and tested the water. The PH was very pink at 8.2 and probably higher than that. I contacted the PB and the manager came out and used a test strip, again and said that my PH was fine. I insisted that he use a test kit instead of the strip and he refused but free poured some muriatic acid in the pool to appease me. I didn't want to add anything to the water in fear that it would void any kind of warranty that I have. I waited until the pool tech came to do my weekly service and he again, free poured muriatic acid straight out of the bottle into the pool. He didn't come back for a week. I continued to test with my kit every 2-3 days and the PH has always been 8.2.

The included pool service is now complete and I am contemplating complaining about the grey mottling in the white plaster that has been visible since day 1. I brushed the pool twice a day for the first 3 weeks with the Pentair pump running 24/7 on speed 3. The last week, I have been brushing once a day with the pump running on speed 2. On the last visit, I had the pool tech hook up the Pentair Rebel vacuum and let it run for 6 hours. I no longer see any dust when brushing. I asked the PB what the mix was for the plaster. He told me that it was a proprietary blend and wouldn't tell exactly what was in it.

I know that it's hard to see with pictures. I have enhanced the pictures so that the discolored areas are more visible. The water color is not correct but the dark shaded areas are true to the inconstancy of the color. Please take a look at the pictures and tell me what your opinion is if the discoloration is normal or excessive mottling.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Mottling1.jpg
    Mottling1.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 274
  • Mottling2.jpg
    Mottling2.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 270
  • Mottling3.jpg
    Mottling3.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 270
  • Mottling4.jpg
    Mottling4.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 274
Thank you for the reply. I have read that post and almost every other post that comes up when you search for mottling. Most are from people with mottling in a colored pool. I understand why mottling occurs but I wanted to see if I could get some realistic opinions from people that have experienced mottling in white plaster and if the mottling that I am experiencing is excessive.

Since your pictures are enhanced and the white plaster actually looks like colored plaster, it is hard to say for sure. Except for one area that stands out visibly, the overall looks mostly normal.
I would prefer seeing non-enhanced pictures.
I share your concern about the high pH, as it may end up causing some calcium scaling. The result of that would be uniform "white" deposits as opposed to "gray mottling" problems. Be sure to get the pH lower and within the proper range.

I have a good friend in Las Vegas and in the business and could have him look at your pool if you feel that the plaster has too much mottling and want to pursue this.
Let me know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.