Houston Area Pool Build

Jul 14, 2015
TX
Finally time I started my own thread here instead of lurking. I appreciate all I've learned thus far, please join me in my quest now.

Signing the contract in a couple weeks, here's the first sketch. We've already decided to add pebble sheen, LED lighting (changing the light facing the house in sketch to face away from the house), and considering adding a raised wall in the back with shears.

Here are the specs. Please let me know if you see anything off.

AREA390 SQ. FT.
SIZE18' X 32' 6"
PERIMETER90
DEPTH3' 1/2 -5-4
STEEL SCHEDULE8" ON CENTER
PIPINGSCHEDULE 40 PVC
STEPSPER PLAN
PERMITSN/A
LIGHTS1- 500 WATT LIGHT IN POOL Changing to 1 or 2 LED
1- 100 WATT LIGHT IN SPA Changing to LED
PUMP2 HP PUMP - Variable Speed
FILTER420 SQ. FT. CARTRIDGE FILTER
HEATER400,000 BTU'S
CHLORINATOR320 RAINBOW
CLEANER280 POLARIS
BOOSTER PUMP3/4 HP
BLOWER1 1/2 HP QT BLOWER
MAIN DRAINS2 IN POOL / 2 IN SPA
SKIMMERS2
RETURNS6 IN POOL /6 JETS IN SPA
TILETILE OF CHOICE
COPINGFLAGSTONE
INTERIOR FINISHPEBBLESHEEN
DECKING750 SQ FT OF Spray Deck
AREA DRAINS4" RUN TO STREET
EQUIPMENT PAD3' X 8'
BENCHES2-1 W/ STEP
SPA7' ROUND 12" RAISED
CLEANING EQUIPMENT4 AND 1 TEST KIT, START UP CHEMICALS,
BRUSH, POLES, NET, HOSE, VAC HEAD, ETC.
ELECTRICALL INCLUDED
***FREEZE PROTECTOR
FEATURESMULTI-LEVEL SEATING IN SPA
5' X 6' TANNING LEDGE

INCLUDEDFILL LINE
DECK SLEEVES
OVERFLOW LINE
2 CLEANUPS (GUNITE AND FINAL)
6 YARDS OF SAND IF NEEDED
FENCE REMOVAL AND REPLACE
SPRINKLER REPAIR
CONCRETE REMOVAL

OH happy day! A new pool build to follow! THANKS!

First thing I notice missing are the model numbers for your equipment. I see the size but you also want brand and model numbers.

We would LOVE to see where the pool is going!

Kim

Nice looking plan there. Yes, go with the LED lights if you will be in the pool at night. Yes, make sure they are pointing at the house. I know they cost more but are worth it if you plan on using them. Might want to see if you can replace the Polaris 280 and the booster pump for a good robot cleaner. Should be near the same price but much cheaper on you electric bill(I wish I had) Good that you have a VS pump, just make sure it's not so off-brand super cheap pump. Is the fill line and Auto-fill? If it is get a valve put on it so you can turn it on/off as needed. My PB puts Auto-fills in every pool, so I had a hose bib with a water manifold with on/off valves on it right by the pool so he hooked it up to that. It's nice to turn it on for a day or two then turn it off after pool is topped off so it's not on all the time(esp in summer). Just a thought for you to consider.

Hope you build goes smooth and comes out the way you wish. Please post lots of pictures when you get started. If you need any help just ask these guys on here. Somebody will show up that knows the answer, plus we are very good at spending other peoples money. LOL

2 LED's. One will not be satisfying for that size pool.

Pool is an investment that like a boat can provide us with many year of pleasure or lot of headache down the road.
I had built my first one built by a general contractor in 1974. The next one was built in 1982 bigger better and for a lot less money.
The reason was that I personally hired and supervised each trade by myself.
The reason I have mentioned this is to give you an idea that as a construction guy I have a little knowledge about how things work in a real environment.
There is two things that people tend to overlook when they designing the layout of the pool while preoccupied with the serene effect of the creation to bring a part of Jamaica in their own backyard.

1. Pool is basically a concrete vessel reinforced with a rebar. It will behave well in the rock, less well in the sand or sandy loam (sinking the heavy end 1-11/2" in 2 years time) and fairly unpredictable in the classic Texas black clay(gumbo as we call it here in Dallas.)
That is why we try to eliminate "L" shaped kidney pool since the tremendous difference in a weight of a deep and shallow will eventually result in a crack that is beyond reliable permanent repair.
In that respect, your pool does not have this problem. Regardless of the substrate, yours is a concrete egg with one end a bit heavier. If it sinks a bit it will be equally. The only thing that you may want to look at is the sides. That is the #2 thing.

2.There is 2 major enemies to our investment in the ground.

One is called an ALGAE the other one is Water itsel

OH happy day! A new pool build to follow! THANKS!

First thing I notice missing are the model numbers for your equipment. I see the size but you also want brand and model numbers.

We would LOVE to see where the pool is going!

Kim

Thanks Kim, will post model #'s when I get back to the office. Everything is Pentair though.

Are you doing salt or bleach for sanitation?

Hi Maria, we're doing bleach.

Everyone else, thanks for the recommendations. Def going with 2 LED's!

Made some progress, got our 800 Sq ft deck taken out. Tree guys come tomorrow to take out the two trees in the way. I didn't get a chance to take a Before pic of the deck, but here's one from last season to give you an idea, and the pool we're upgrading from. :)

We should start digging next week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.