Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Houston Area Pool Build

1. Back To Top    #1

Houston Area Pool Build

Finally time I started my own thread here instead of lurking. I appreciate all I've learned thus far, please join me in my quest now.

Signing the contract in a couple weeks, here's the first sketch. We've already decided to add pebble sheen, LED lighting (changing the light facing the house in sketch to face away from the house), and considering adding a raised wall in the back with shears.

Here are the specs. Please let me know if you see anything off.

AREA 390 SQ. FT.
    SIZE 18' X 32' 6"
    PERIMETER 90
    DEPTH 3' 1/2 -5-4
    STEEL SCHEDULE 8" ON CENTER
    PIPING SCHEDULE 40 PVC
    STEPS PER PLAN
    PERMITS N/A
    LIGHTS 1- 500 WATT LIGHT IN POOL Changing to 1 or 2 LED
    1- 100 WATT LIGHT IN SPA Changing to LED
    PUMP 2 HP PUMP - Variable Speed
    FILTER 420 SQ. FT. CARTRIDGE FILTER
    HEATER 400,000 BTU'S
    CHLORINATOR 320 RAINBOW
    CLEANER 280 POLARIS
    BOOSTER PUMP 3/4 HP
    BLOWER 1 1/2 HP QT BLOWER
    MAIN DRAINS 2 IN POOL / 2 IN SPA
    SKIMMERS 2
    RETURNS 6 IN POOL /6 JETS IN SPA
    TILE TILE OF CHOICE
    COPING FLAGSTONE
    INTERIOR FINISH PEBBLESHEEN
    DECKING 750 SQ FT OF Spray Deck
    AREA DRAINS 4" RUN TO STREET
    EQUIPMENT PAD 3' X 8'
    BENCHES 2-1 W/ STEP
    SPA 7' ROUND 12" RAISED
    CLEANING EQUIPMENT 4 AND 1 TEST KIT, START UP CHEMICALS,
    BRUSH, POLES, NET, HOSE, VAC HEAD, ETC.
    ELECTRIC ALL INCLUDED
    ***FREEZE PROTECTOR
    FEATURES MULTI-LEVEL SEATING IN SPA
    5' X 6' TANNING LEDGE

INCLUDED FILL LINE
    DECK SLEEVES
    OVERFLOW LINE
    2 CLEANUPS (GUNITE AND FINAL)
    6 YARDS OF SAND IF NEEDED
    FENCE REMOVAL AND REPLACE
    SPRINKLER REPAIR
    CONCRETE REMOVAL

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Houston Area Pool Build

OH happy day! A new pool build to follow! THANKS!

First thing I notice missing are the model numbers for your equipment. I see the size but you also want brand and model numbers.

We would LOVE to see where the pool is going!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Are you doing salt or bleach for sanitation?
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

4. Back To Top    #4

Nice looking plan there. Yes, go with the LED lights if you will be in the pool at night. Yes, make sure they are pointing at the house. I know they cost more but are worth it if you plan on using them. Might want to see if you can replace the Polaris 280 and the booster pump for a good robot cleaner. Should be near the same price but much cheaper on you electric bill(I wish I had) Good that you have a VS pump, just make sure it's not so off-brand super cheap pump. Is the fill line and Auto-fill? If it is get a valve put on it so you can turn it on/off as needed. My PB puts Auto-fills in every pool, so I had a hose bib with a water manifold with on/off valves on it right by the pool so he hooked it up to that. It's nice to turn it on for a day or two then turn it off after pool is topped off so it's not on all the time(esp in summer). Just a thought for you to consider.

Hope you build goes smooth and comes out the way you wish. Please post lots of pictures when you get started. If you need any help just ask these guys on here. Somebody will show up that knows the answer, plus we are very good at spending other peoples money. LOL
    12K gal, custom flipped kidney bean with spillover spa. All Pentair equipment, Whisperflo 1 1/2 HP, 400K BTU heater, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, CCP-320 Cartridge filters, Kreepy Krauly pool cleaner with bootster pump, QuartzScapes in Aruba Sky blue, LED lights and travertine tiles for decking and stones on rear edge for landscaping. TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

2 LED's. One will not be satisfying for that size pool.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Pool is an investment that like a boat can provide us with many year of pleasure or lot of headache down the road.
    I had built my first one built by a general contractor in 1974. The next one was built in 1982 bigger better and for a lot less money.
    The reason was that I personally hired and supervised each trade by myself.
    The reason I have mentioned this is to give you an idea that as a construction guy I have a little knowledge about how things work in a real environment.
    There is two things that people tend to overlook when they designing the layout of the pool while preoccupied with the serene effect of the creation to bring a part of Jamaica in their own backyard.

1. Pool is basically a concrete vessel reinforced with a rebar. It will behave well in the rock, less well in the sand or sandy loam (sinking the heavy end 1-11/2" in 2 years time) and fairly unpredictable in the classic Texas black clay(gumbo as we call it here in Dallas.)
    That is why we try to eliminate "L" shaped kidney pool since the tremendous difference in a weight of a deep and shallow will eventually result in a crack that is beyond reliable permanent repair.
    In that respect, your pool does not have this problem. Regardless of the substrate, yours is a concrete egg with one end a bit heavier. If it sinks a bit it will be equally. The only thing that you may want to look at is the sides. That is the #2 thing.

2.There is 2 major enemies to our investment in the ground.

One is called an ALGAE the other one is Water itsel
    21,000 Gallons
    Swimquip DES Filter
    In Ground Plaster Pool

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    OH happy day! A new pool build to follow! THANKS!

First thing I notice missing are the model numbers for your equipment. I see the size but you also want brand and model numbers.

We would LOVE to see where the pool is going!

Kim
    Thanks Kim, will post model #'s when I get back to the office. Everything is Pentair though.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlahoutex View Post
    Are you doing salt or bleach for sanitation?
    Hi Maria, we're doing bleach.

Everyone else, thanks for the recommendations. Def going with 2 LED's!

8. Back To Top    #8

Made some progress, got our 800 Sq ft deck taken out. Tree guys come tomorrow to take out the two trees in the way. I didn't get a chance to take a Before pic of the deck, but here's one from last season to give you an idea, and the pool we're upgrading from.

We should start digging next week.

9. Back To Top    #9

Exciting! Even demolition is great when it's in anticipation of a pool... Keep those pictures coming!
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

10. Back To Top    #10

That will be quite an upgrade there!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Trees cut, utilities marked. Digging next tuesday, steel/plumbing wends and gunite thursday....weather permitting.

12. Back To Top    #12

Are those trees along your fence crepe mrytles?
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Helen203 View Post
    Are those trees along your fence crepe mrytles?
    Hi, no they are called ligustrums.

14. Back To Top    #14

ah, OK! I have a bunch of CMs around my new pool, and people tell me they wont last long because they are messy!
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Helen203 View Post
    ah, OK! I have a bunch of CMs around my new pool, and people tell me they wont last long because they are messy!
    Yep, if they were Crepes they'd be on the way out. They are very messy.

16. Back To Top    #16

And so it begins.....

17. Back To Top    #17

No turning back now!

Kim

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    No turning back now!

Kim
    Nope! Steel done today too.

19. Back To Top    #19

Now go out and measure everything. Make sure it is deep enough, wide enough, long enough, etc. Add about 6 inches for the gunite and plaster.

Kim

20. Back To Top    #20

Gunite..... Check

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast