canadian geese plague

mitzie

Dec 25, 2014
bayport, new york
There seems to be a Canadian geese plague in some parts of this country that has reaped havoc onto homes and business. I live near water and these animals come on the grass and eat it with the grass roots and replace it with tons of bird poop which is very unsanitary. There is so much of it at times you cannot even see the grass and the worst part of it is it has to be picked up by hand because the machines aerosolize the waste which is toxic. In the summer the geese go in my pool, drink the water, and poop large amounts into the pool water. When the pool is closed overnight they poop on the motorized cover and in the winter poop on the winter cover as well. Lately they do not migrate for the winter to the south nor do they migrate to northern Canada in the summer like in previous years. They reproduce in the river nearby and their numbers get larger each year as there is no predator to this species here. They don't like dogs but dogs will not chase them off the pool covers. There is a new bread of business in my area and online called geese chasers. Basically an expensive hired person who uses all kinds of things to chase or repel geese. The town environmental control controls them occasionally when their numbers get so high that they get sucked into the engines taking off in the local airport and endangering aviation. Golf courses in my region are loosing business because of unsanitary grass in the summer. The question I have is what type of spring loaded safety winter cover is so completely solid that it will not allow geese urine or rain soaked geese poop to drain into the pool. Many of the manufacturers are trying to reduce the weight of safety covers by placing a center drain or making a light weight "micro-pore solid" cover. Any porosity of a winter cover in this environment will change a winterized pool into a bird cesspool come spring time. So what is available in a truly solid, totally non-porous, safety winter cover or even non-safety completely non-porous standard winter cover? The recent trends in pool cover technology to make covers micro-porous to allow rain water thru but not light is not going to sell in this geese infested environment where the water on top of the cover is unsanitary waste water instead of clean rain water..

Most safety cover manufacturers have an all solid option. It comes with an automatic cover pump. Manufacturers are trying to push their dense mesh option, but they still sell the fully solid covers. You have to be clear that you want the completely solid cover with no drain panel.

I strung monofilament fishing line across my pool and pond to keep the ducks, geese and blue herons out.

I got the idea while sitting poolside in the Caribbean.

It's been working fine for 20+ years now. Try it out in your setting.

Sent by incredibly fast electrons

Monofilament will work if they're landing there. If they're just walking up from the pond, then that's little help.

One of the natural enemies of a goose is a swan, so maybe getting a swan for your pool? (Only half kidding)

So, geese have exceptionally good and exceptionally sensitive eyesight. There are some LED strobe products that strobe in a high frequency that geese do not like. To humans, it looks like just a faint, solid green led, no strobe effect. I've seen these on golf courses in Maryland and had to ask what they were. I had almost finished asking the question of why bother having them since there weren't any geese when I put two & two together. No idea the cost, but I can tell you there weren't any geese anywhere near those black tubes.

A quick google found these, but I'm unsure if they are as effective as the ones I saw.

The Intelligent Goose Control The Denier

https://www.awaywithgeese.com

They sell something similar at Northern Tool. I can't imagine that these are more effective than a dog (or a guard swan) but... hard to argue with the premise.

Monofilament will work if they're landing there. If they're just walking up from the pond, then that's little help.

One of the natural enemies of a goose is a swan, so maybe getting a swan for your pool? (Only half kidding)

So, geese have exceptionally good and exceptionally sensitive eyesight. There are some LED strobe products that strobe in a high frequency that geese do not like. To humans, it looks like just a faint, solid green led, no strobe effect. I've seen these on golf courses in Maryland and had to ask what they were. I had almost finished asking the question of why bother having them since there weren't any geese when I put two & two together. No idea the cost, but I can tell you there weren't any geese anywhere near those black tubes.

A quick google found these, but I'm unsure if they are as effective as the ones I saw.

The Intelligent Goose Control The Denier

Get rid of geese and keep geese away | Away With Geese goose deterrent

They sell something similar at Northern Tool. I can't imagine that these are more effective than a dog (or a guard swan) but... hard to argue with the premise.
Old thread but bumping anyway. How about a floating swan decoy? 😂 Growing up the goose poop was horrible...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.