Pool Lost Luster

test results..

FC 7.5
    cc 0.0
    ph 7.6
    TA 75
    cya 80
    ch 350

the only thing I did was add dry stabilizer to raise from 60 to 80...i can see the drain cover screws in the deep end, it just lost the shine. Could it be the stabilizer? Than You
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Jandy Automation /w IAqualink
    Autopilot SWG
    Jandy 2.0 HP VSP, Filter Cartridge
    Taylor (FAS-DPD K-2600, Pool Surface: Plaster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Lost Luster

How did you add stabilizer? Did you put it in a sock and hang it in front of a return? Increasing CYA should not cause cloudiness.

You may need to perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test - Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

In the strainer...

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Will do the oclt test tonight...Thanks

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by boston62 View Post
    In the strainer...

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
    In a sock or old nylon though, right?
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

in a sock used for straining paint, but new from HD..
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

maybe my imagination, but it looks better when I increase the speed on vsp.

here is picture
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

So nothing jumps out at me as being too out of the ordinary from a chemistry perspective. Please keep running your pool pump until all the CYA is dissolved (you should NOT leave the sock full of CYA in the skimmer if the pump is not running) and then perform the OCLT so we can confirm your water is free of anything that might/could be growing (I suspect it is ok). I, personally, like to bring my FC up to 10ppm to do an OCLT rather than just recording where it is the night before and measuring again in the morning. But your FC is high enough that it would be ok to do an OCLT at 7.5ppm. Just make sure you use your FAS-DPD chlorine test to get an accurate read of the FC AND be sure that you run your pumps all night (as well as any water features) and turn OFF the SWG.

Good luck,
    Matt
    Matt

9. Back To Top    #9

didn't know that OCLT test required to run pump all night, I must of missed that in the pool school..Thanks
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

10. Back To Top    #10

didn't know that OCLT test required to run pump all night, I must of missed that in the pool school..Thanks
    It does not actually say to do that and I'll have to inquire with the higher-ups as to why, but that is how I always do it. If there were something causing an FC demand in your pool, then leaving the pump off would be ok. However, if the issue were to be in a part of your system that only sees water when the pump is running, you might not catch the problem with a stagnant OCLT.

I'll leave it up to you to decide what would work the best. In my opinion, you leave the pumps running. Others may have better reasoning if it truly does not matter.
    Matt

11. Back To Top    #11

your logic is correct, I'll run the pump all night...Thanks for the tip..where it says to turn off the swg, that would suggest to me that the pump is to run when doing the oclt, or the swg would be off anyways if the pump is off.
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

12. Back To Top    #12

just a follow up, pool is back to being sparkling again, sure does take along time coming down with the chlorine , maybe because the water is colder now...
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

13. Back To Top    #13

just a follow up, pool is back to being sparkling again, sure does take along time coming down with the chlorine , maybe because the water is colder now...
    Glad to hear it. Yes, cold water means there's little to no algae growth, no bathers to create bather waste and low incident UV sunlight. Therefore the FC loss rate drops to very low values. Some measure less than 0.2ppm/day in the winter.

Matt