Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How can I tell if this pool is resin? I want to be able to run Salt Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Question How can I tell if this pool is resin? I want to be able to run Salt Water

pool01.JPGpool02.JPGpool03.JPG

Here is a link to bigger pictures: Pool - Album on Imgur

Anyway to tell if this is a Resin Pool? I want to be able to run Salt Water, but the seller says that they don't know if it is Resin. They also don't know the make or model of the pool because it was there when they bought the house.

Any help out there?

THANKS!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How can I tell if this pool is resin? I want to be able to run Salt Water

Tap the top rail with your ring. Does it sound like metal or plastic? Metal will TING where plastic will plonk (I hope this makes sense)

Also look at the bottom "track" the walls sit in. Do the tap test again.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

It is not a resin pool. Resin is just another name for plastic.the only thing that would be resin is the top rails and the bottom track that the pool sits in.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

But, with all that being said many folks use salt with non-resin pools. Where are you getting your information from?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

My understanding is that you cannot run salt unless the pool is all resin due to rust.

I was hoping that because of the design on the side, it might be a plastic pool. I've never seen above ground pools with those paint jobs unless they are plastic. But then again, I don't know anything about pools. So thats what I'm here.

6. Back To Top    #6

My above ground pool is all resin except the walls. The walls are said to be rust proof but.............I am not willing to take the chance with salt as much as I would like to.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat54 View Post
    My understanding is that you cannot run salt unless the pool is all resin due to rust.

I was hoping that because of the design on the side, it might be a plastic pool. I've never seen above ground pools with those paint jobs unless they are plastic. But then again, I don't know anything about pools. So thats what I'm here.
    The chlorinated water it is filled with is almost, if not just as corrosive as the small amount of salt in the water. If the pool is made with a lesser grade steel it is going to rust, salt or no salt.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon