Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First test results.

1. Back To Top    #1

First test results.

Hello All,

I have a 13,500 gallon in ground pool constructed of marcite. It is in need of a resurface job that will happen middle of next year..

I just received my Taylor K-2006 test kit this evening and thought I would give it a whirl..

Here are the results below.

FC - 0.6
    CC - 0.12
    pH - 7.2
    TA - 60
    CH - 300
    CYA - 40

I plan on buying the bleach needed to raise the chlorine levels as I see that is the biggest issue I have at the moment.. With such low levels should I get a liquid chlorine to get it up or will the bleach work?
    Ty
    Seminole, FL
    13,500 Gal IG Marcite Pool. Triton Purex Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First test results.

bleach IS liquid chlorine the only difference is the %. Most liquid chlorine is around 11%. Most bleach is around 8%. There is some really cheap bleach that is only about 2%.

Make sure to check the date code on it. It should not be older than 3months.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Gotcha,

I have some ultra concentrated from Target but it is lavender scented and 8%. Any issues using the scented?
    Ty
    Seminole, FL

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes. Please use only unscented with no additives bleach. Do you know how to read date codes? Here is a link to decode them Understanding Clorox Shelf Life and Decoding Date Codes
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

5. Back To Top    #5

I will have to pick some up first thing tomorrow then.

I have also read about a SLAM. Should I do that due to the chlorine level being so low?
    Another Que?

My PH and TA are low according to pool math. Shall I get the chlorine in line first and then worry about those?
    Ty
    Seminole, FL

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to the forum, Ty!

Is your water clear? Is there any sign of algae?

How did you get the 0.12 reading on the CC?

Also, you can use a 10ml sample for the FC/CC tests and count each drop as 0.5.

- - - Updated - - -

Cross-post. Don't worry about the pH and TA for now.

7. Back To Top    #7

Water is cloudy but can see the bottom pretty well in deep end. The CC came from the test instructions in the Taylor test kit. I am pretty sure I did it correctly. i believe the color was pretty light pink so it was difficult to tell exactly when it went clear.

We did just have some issues with lots of wood chips and vegetation in the pool from some stump grinding nearby. We also had some clogging that was causing pump problems. That is all fixed at this time. Pool is clean except for some recurring sand that seems to be coming from the sand filter. Probable replacement with cartridge filter next month. Unless anyone knows how to fix that issue..
    Ty
    Seminole, FL

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

You have an error with the test for CC's. It should report a resolution of .2 (.2, .6, 1.6, etc.)or even better .5 ppm per drop if you use a 10 ml sample.

This stuff is hard at first but quickly gets very easy.

Always do drops-based testing to the endpoint. Keep adding drops until you are sure the last drop made no difference. Then, subtract that drop.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

If the water is cloudy, yup, read up on how to slam in poolschool: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain The most important thing is to MAINTAIN the FC at or above shock level.

Also, you will need to understand the FC/CYA relationship: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

10. Back To Top    #10

I will help you work on the filter.

-when was the last time you backwashed it? Do you make sure to run it on rinse after you backwash?

-Have you opened the filter to look at the sand?

We will start there.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

SLAM process has began. I am worried that I will not be able to complete it.. I am a firefighter and go into work tomorrow for the next 48 hours.. We will see how today goes. The pool looks good so I dont think it should need too much.

As far as the filter.. I have backwashed a bunch due to getting the debris out with the barracuda and manual vacuuming.. The label on the multi port valve is worn out and all i can see is bypass, and backwash. Not sure where the rinse section is... See pics attached..

I have not opened the filter. I have read the articles on cleaning sand and I may attempt that. We just bought this home and been here about a month now. I am unsure of when or if the sand has ever been changed. County records show the pool was built in 1981 with the house.

IMG_20151229_103758747.jpgIMG_20151229_103805416_HDR.jpgIMG_20151229_103828612.jpg
    Ty
    Seminole, FL

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Are you backwashing when you get a 25% increase in your psi? (Does the gauge work?)

If you don't rinse, are you getting dirt back into the pool when you switch back to filter?

You have some old equipment that needs some attention. I would replace that gauge, find your correct positions on the multi port and label them with a sharpie (or get a label from the manufacturer) and open up that filter to at least visually inspect the sand......should be about 2/3 to 3/4 full
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

90 minutes into SLAM. FC is at 16. CC at 0.

I will work on equipment later in the week.

I have not seen any movement on the gauge since I have been in the home. New gauge will be here tomorrow through Amazon.

Ty
    Ty
    Seminole, FL

14. Back To Top    #14

I like your attitude! As for the slam, keep on it as often as you can until you have to go to work. Is there anyone else that can test and add chlorine for you?

15. Back To Top    #15

FC at 15.5
    CC at 0

Water looks amazing..
    Will do the OCLT test tonight.

What is the safe swimming level for FC?
    Ty
    Seminole, FL

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP says below shock level. Can you wait to swim? With you working hard on this slam, and with your work schedule...

17. Back To Top    #17

It looks like you're going to have to cut the PVC lines to get the top of the filter off. It looks like whoever owned it last redid the piping but didn't bother to add unions to the pipes to make things easily serviceable. So i'd say it's a pretty sure bet that the filter was never deep-cleaned. Do yourself a favor and add them to the filter and pump when you open it all up.

Good luck!

Matt

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

18. Back To Top    #18

Did you raise your FC level back up to at least shock level?

19. Back To Top    #19

I did not. Didn't realize it until we spoke. Going to do the OCLT tonight, I got a FC-16. Will be able to test again before I leave. If its way off I will shock again in the morning to get to shock level and have to try the SLAM again when I have the chance.

Like I said the pool "looks" better than it has in recent days so I am hoping for the best...

Ty
    Ty
    Seminole, FL

20. Back To Top    #20

That "recurring dirt" on the floor Could be dead algae, don't be surprised if it doesn't come back after the slam is done.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast