Repair a frayed communication cable?

Dec 28, 2015
San Diego, CA
Hi everyone,

The communication cable for my Compool cp3600 appears to be frayed not far from where it enters the control panel. I discovered this when it began to rain and the indoor remote started beeping and flickering on and off. I went outside and discovered smoke coming from the part of the comm cable that is frayed. Does anyone know if it's there's a way to fix this *without* fishing an entirely new cable from the controller to the house? The house is far away, the cable runs under concrete, goes up into the attic, etc., so I wouldn't be able to run a new line through the same conduit (not to mention it would be a huge pain in general.)

Thanks!

If you have enough slack in the cable you can re-terminate the cable with an RJ-12 connector. If you don't have enough slack, you can cut and splice a piece of 6-wire cable onto the existing cable. Be sure to use 'marine' wire-nuts or butt connectors if you decide to splice it.

Also, it's probably not as big a job as you imagine to pull new cable. You can tie the new cable to the existing cable and pull it through if it's in conduit all the way. Or even if it's not in conduit, but isn't stapled it's not too big a job.

Thanks, there's not much slack so I'll give the splicing a shot in the next couple days and will report back. As for running a whole new cable, it unfortunately does go through a number of tight bends and up into the attic where it's likely stapled (in a portion where it's almost impossible to get to anymore.) It's too bad that converting to wireless is so expensive...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.