Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Repair a frayed communication cable?

1. Back To Top    #1

Repair a frayed communication cable?

Hi everyone,

The communication cable for my Compool cp3600 appears to be frayed not far from where it enters the control panel. I discovered this when it began to rain and the indoor remote started beeping and flickering on and off. I went outside and discovered smoke coming from the part of the comm cable that is frayed. Does anyone know if it's there's a way to fix this *without* fishing an entirely new cable from the controller to the house? The house is far away, the cable runs under concrete, goes up into the attic, etc., so I wouldn't be able to run a new line through the same conduit (not to mention it would be a huge pain in general.)

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Repair a frayed communication cable?

If you have enough slack in the cable you can re-terminate the cable with an RJ-12 connector. If you don't have enough slack, you can cut and splice a piece of 6-wire cable onto the existing cable. Be sure to use 'marine' wire-nuts or butt connectors if you decide to splice it.

Also, it's probably not as big a job as you imagine to pull new cable. You can tie the new cable to the existing cable and pull it through if it's in conduit all the way. Or even if it's not in conduit, but isn't stapled it's not too big a job.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Repair a frayed communication cable?

Thanks, there's not much slack so I'll give the splicing a shot in the next couple days and will report back. As for running a whole new cable, it unfortunately does go through a number of tight bends and up into the attic where it's likely stapled (in a portion where it's almost impossible to get to anymore.) It's too bad that converting to wireless is so expensive...