Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Freeze protection speeds ignored

1. Back To Top    #1

Freeze protection speeds ignored

New to me pool
    today it's 35 degrees in dallas and I noticed all 3 of my vs pumps and the cleaner pump are all running at 3300 rpm
    i set them all to come on but set the speed to a much lower rpm

for freeze protection I don't need to be using 10k watts of power
    1100 rpm would be enough as long as the water is moving

anyone here know why the freeze protection is running faster that the preset ?

for example the spa is on and it looks like it turned in the spa preset rather than the freeze protection preset ..

im tempted to just get a Blanket and 100 watt drop light
    but would prefer to use automated systems
    Doug - Purchased 1/2016, 1995 house with 16x31 ft, ~23000 gallon Gunite pool w 11x7 spa, 3 Pentair VS pumps, a boost pump for polaris 3900 and a BaduŽ Jet super-sport swim jet pump, 1.5 hp blower, a CL460 Cartridge filter. TF-100 test kit. Aquapure SWG, iAqualink - Lots to learn. New Aquabright, Jandy LEDs, CMP LED Sheers.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Freeze protection speeds ignored

Not sure how iAqualink works with a Pentair IntelliFlo. On the EasyTouch automation panel you simply tell it which circuits (relays) need to energize for freeze protection and then it activates those relays. I actually disabled the Freeze Protect on my "POOL" circuit and used a spare circuit set to run the pump at a really low speed and have that circuit activate when Freeze Protect goes on. Perhaps you need to do something similar on the iAqualink?

My biggest annoyance is I have a rock waterfall feature with a hugely over-spec'd 3HP pump and that activates when the freeze protect goes on. I'm actually thinking of winterizing just the waterfall plumbing so I can shutdown that pump during the cold months.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Here are screenshots of the setup

It it seems the main pool pump has all kinds of speeds assigned but the second and third pumps have only one

I've tried reading the manuals but haven't found helpful passages yet
    freez1.jpg
    freeze3.jpg
    freez2.jpg
    Doug - Purchased 1/2016, 1995 house with 16x31 ft, ~23000 gallon Gunite pool w 11x7 spa, 3 Pentair VS pumps, a boost pump for polaris 3900 and a BaduŽ Jet super-sport swim jet pump, 1.5 hp blower, a CL460 Cartridge filter. TF-100 test kit. Aquapure SWG, iAqualink - Lots to learn. New Aquabright, Jandy LEDs, CMP LED Sheers.

4. Back To Top    #4

Where do setup freeze protection? Which circuits get set to come on with freeze protect?

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

added image above

6. Back To Top    #6

Should I turn on the bubbler and waterfalls during freeze protection?

21,000 gallons, Salt, IG Gunite, Plaster Finish, Free From, Pentair FNS DE cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo-VS pump, Intellichlor IC-40, 2 port fountains, bubbler in tanning deck, Dolphin M400, TF-100, K-1766, Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I did as Matt is thinking of and insulated just the piping for my waterfall. As for the setup on the Aqualink I have just my pump setup since my cleaner and booster pump are in the same plumbing and not isolated by any actuators they should be able to get plenty of flow to be protected. If your booster is on an actuated line you can use the "not used" slot to define a 600RPM speed and whatever valves that are needed no need to run the booster pump it will get enough flow from the main pump and by extension the cleaner will also be protected.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

8. Back To Top    #8

thanks for the replies but some of the above is over my head

i also have a swim jet w separate pump that isnt even seen by the aqualink

I hate to say it but I may need to call in an expert to get an understanding of what my options are
    DSC_6916(1).jpgDSC_7064.jpg
    pictures show the 3 vs pumps and the boost pump and the swim jet pump

9. Back To Top    #9

I believe you need to set each pump one at a time:

1.jpg
    I select my VSP and click Next

2.jpg
    Click on Freeze Protect Spd

3.jpg
    And enter in the desired speed.

Hope this helps.

- Flappy
    16,500 gallon IG Pool & Spa: Intelliflo VS pump, Pentair Triton II TR-100 sand filter, Teledyne Laars Lite2 propane heater
    Laminar Jets (2): Hayward Maxflow SP1600 1/2HP, Hayward Star Clear C500 cartridge filter
    Jandy iAqualink RS-8 Rev T, Hayward AquaRite AQR15, Dolphin Supreme M5, Taylor K-2006, Taylor K-1766

10. Back To Top    #10

Flappy
    that speed is set but when the freeze protection comes on it runs at the regular pump rpm

11. Back To Top    #11

Silver, this is very odd. I just validated what you are seeing. My pump is not running at 600rpms as set in freeze mode - it too is running at the preset filtration speed.

5.jpg

In addition, I was unable to exclude the Filter Pump from freeze mode. All other relays could be added and removed but not that one. I assume you are seeing the same thing.

- Flappy
    16,500 gallon IG Pool & Spa: Intelliflo VS pump, Pentair Triton II TR-100 sand filter, Teledyne Laars Lite2 propane heater
    Laminar Jets (2): Hayward Maxflow SP1600 1/2HP, Hayward Star Clear C500 cartridge filter
    Jandy iAqualink RS-8 Rev T, Hayward AquaRite AQR15, Dolphin Supreme M5, Taylor K-2006, Taylor K-1766

12. Back To Top    #12

I just found the following in the iAqualink manual:

Page 37:
    Freeze Protection
    In the freeze protect mode the pump will turn
    ON and be set to at least the freeze protect
    speed. If the filter pump speed is higher than the
    freeze protect speed, then the pump will run at
    the filtration speed. Also, if speeds have been
    assigned to auxiliaries and if those auxiliaries
    are freeze protected, the pump will be set to the
    highest of the speeds.

And on page 27:
    Note the filter pump is always assigned to freeze protection.

13. Back To Top    #13

Well I'm glad it wasn't just me

the aqua link system is completely screwed up
    makes no sense
    need to read the manual and maybe call them

I can go in and set the pump to 1000 rpm
    but it would be so much better to have it be 1000 only when on freeze and th regular pump rpm all other times

14. Back To Top    #14

And I will likely move my scheduled filter cycle to the early hours of the morning. We're having overnight lows in the 30's this week. No sense in running the pump during the day if I am forced to run it at night.

15. Back To Top    #15

Yep - I've seen others post that they do the same
    I still need to figure out how to keep the swim jet pump from freezing

its not Vs and not connected to aqua link