Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: best place to purchase acid to lower PH

1. Back To Top    #1

best place to purchase acid to lower PH

In the past couple months ive had my pool i picked it up at Leslies. is there a better deal or place to get acid to lower pH?
    20yr old,14k,IG,Plaster,Hayward Pro-Grid 60sqft, Hayward DE Separation tank, Hayward Multi-port Valve, Whisper-flo single speed 1.5hp pump,Hayward XL concrete pool suction vacuum, Polaris P340 (Leslies Pool model), Still working to get a test kit, Leslies Power Powder and Leslies 3" Tabs.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: best place to purchase acid to lower PH

I get mine from Lowes. I don't know if it is the best price BUT it is the easiest for me to get to so that counts for me. Make sure you get the 31% out in the garden shop area. There is a "low fume" one that costs the same BUT is half the %!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I use to get mine at Leslie's because Lowes and HD here went exclusively to the 14% pool acid at the same price as Leslie's' for 32%. However, they also have 32% in the paint isle which is now at a better price than Leslie's so that is where I get acid now. It pays to shop around.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Lowes in the paint section sells 31%. Bleach, borax and baking soda from Walmart.

only thing I get from the pool store is bad advice😜
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

If you have Menard's, they are by far the cheapest up here. $3.99/G for full-strength in the paint dept.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    I get mine from Lowes. I don't know if it is the best price BUT it is the easiest for me to get to so that counts for me. Make sure you get the 31% out in the garden shop area. There is a "low fume" one that costs the same BUT is half the %!

Kim
    I get muriatic acid correct?
    20yr old,14k,IG,Plaster,Hayward Pro-Grid 60sqft, Hayward DE Separation tank, Hayward Multi-port Valve, Whisper-flo single speed 1.5hp pump,Hayward XL concrete pool suction vacuum, Polaris P340 (Leslies Pool model), Still working to get a test kit, Leslies Power Powder and Leslies 3" Tabs.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by WASP View Post
    Lowes in the paint section sells 31%. Bleach, borax and baking soda from Walmart.

only thing I get from the pool store is bad advice
    I used bleach instead of the power powder shock that i got from leslies correct? whats the borax and baking soda for again?

9. Back To Top    #9

We are getting a lot of rain in North Texas, is it ok to start SLAMing my pool because overnight, it turned a shade of greenish blue.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by abishoff View Post
    We are getting a lot of rain in North Texas, is it ok to start SLAMing my pool because overnight, it turned a shade of greenish blue.
    Depends, did you get a test kit?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Depends, did you get a test kit?
    it is being shipped. im going to stop at leslies for quick test.

12. Back To Top    #12

When is it due to arrive? We don't like messing with recommendations without good test results.

13. Back To Top    #13

I ordered over the holidays so idk when they'll send it off, probably it'll ship out tomorrow.

14. Back To Top    #14

From Leslie's
    FC 3
    Total Chlorine 3
    CH 180
    CYA 80
    TA 120
    pH 8
    TDS 600
    Pho 150 (he said this was high)

They sold 2gal of 31% muriatic for $16 so I got that.

15. Back To Top    #15

For now, just ignore the phosphate and TDS numbers.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    For now, just ignore the phosphate and TDS numbers.
    Looks like I my CYA is too high... but there isn't much I can do expect drain and refill right? We are having so much rain hopefully it will balance out. For now I guess just shock to match the CYA at 80?

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Just wait for the test kit. Pool store testing for CYA in particular is notoriously inaccurate.
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

18. Back To Top    #18

Agreed! You would be safe to bump up the FC to target levels, but wait for your kit on the slam.

Would you please keep your signature in each post? It helps us from back-tracking on the thread or even remembering if you have one. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, do you know where to find info on your "target" FC? Let us know if not.

19. Back To Top    #19

Hold off on doing anything until you get your test kit.

IF you feel as if you HAVE to do something you can put a jug of bleach in to keep the pool from getting worse.

I am going to share a couple of links with you.

This one will talk about the chemicals we use and what we use them for.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

This one talks about the levels AFTER your pool is clear

Pool School - Recommended Levels

This one talks about how to SLAM when your kit gets there. The MOST important part is Maintain as in maintain the FC at or just above SLAM level.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

AND here is the biggest and best link-----the whys and hows of TFP!

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit