pentair easy touch not " NO COMM "

Reset the EasyTouch panel. See if that corrects the problem.

You should also check the antenna wiring (you have to remove the front of the panel to exposed the circuit board) and check that no wires are loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Welcome to the TFP forum. You can find the answer to most any question here provided by the many knowledgeable members. If it turns out that your remote is bad, consider replacing it with a Pentair Screen Logic interface. The Screen Logic makes the remotes obsolete. You can then control your Easy Touch with your PC and Apple / Android phones and tablets.

I know this post is kind of dated but,

Try resetting the address.

From the load center at the equipment:

press menu.
press up arrow (scroll) to settings, press select (right arrow)
scroll to address and press the right arrow button.
wait till display says "sending address".

From the hand held unit:

Do the same:
press menu.
press up arrow(scroll) to settings, press select (right arrow)
scroll to address and press the right arrow button to lock on to the unique address that is being sent from the outdoor panel.
wait until display says "found addressed".
press the menu button to save and exit this mode.

Now return to the outdoor panel:
press the menu button 3 times to exit the "sending address" mode.

Reactions: PaigeMark

press menu.

From the hand held unit:

Do the same:
press menu.
scroll to address and press the right arrow button to lock on to the unique address that is being sent from the outdoor panel.

Pool Clown still rocks Aug 2020. Thank you.

I have the same problem following a power outage.. I've tried the instructions above, but the EasyTouch8 remote fails to see the transmitted address. Where is the likely fault - the board, ariel, remote or something else? I checked the wires are connected to the main board. Is there a circuit diagram available so I can fault find?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey Fish,
If Pool clown and Joyfulnoise's instructions don't help, use an multimeter in continuity mode to verify the wiring from the outdoor board to the transceiver card is good, or temporarily re-connect it with a known-good short length of cable. If the problem persists, the transceiver or the outdoor board could have bad comms.

Give us a little more detail...
1. do you have an intelliflo pump - or anything else connected to the comm port we can use to verify the outdoor board's comms?
2. what is the FCC:ID on the back of your handheld remote (P4HEASYTOUCH or P4HEASYTOUCH2A)? (the transceiver cards are different)
3. do you see any activity on the transceiver card 485 or RF leds? the 485 led blinks when it talks via the comm port, the RF led blinks when it receives a command from the remote (it can't if it's not paired). if your card's fcc:id ends in 2A and both leds blink in repeating a pattern (5 blinks, pause, repeat) then the card is dead.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Hey,
I'll try a multimeter at the weekend when there is both light and time in more plentiful supply. In the meantime:
1. There is a variable speed hayward pump, but I've only ever seen it on or off as far as the pentair controller system is concerned, and it's speed is scheduled on the pump itself. I think that implies it doesn't have any more interesting comms (?)
2. The remote is the latter P4HEASYTOUCH2A
3. Thanks for the info, I'll let you know. I assume there are leds in the transceever under the cover to show that activity rather than the base unit? I could get an oscilloscope on the wires - I guess it is rs485..

Thanks for your help!

Hey you're welcome...
1. ok so it looks like we can't use the pump to test the comms
2. you've got the card with the "laird" chipset... if it does that repeated 5 flash pattern then it's certainly dead.
3. i forgot about the covers on the outdoor transceiver! ;) if you crack it open you'll see the power, 485 and link leds. you could certainly put a scope on it but one of those cheap rs485-to-usb dongles is a heck of a lot easier to use. i'll wait for your report, but if you see the 485 led on the outdoor transceiver flash every second or so (with no link activity) then the comms are likely working. (oh, and if you so use a scope, don't clip the scope ground to a data line! i "think" gnd is isolated from the board's supply so it might be fine, but it's not worth risking a short)

Thank you cooler evening while it's still light! Looks like I'm getting the repeating flash from both leds as you describe. Looks like a dead board from what you're saying. I assume that is the antenna board.

Is there any way to know the main system board is working in this regard? You mention checking other external devices like a pump, I don't have any.. so I'm concerned that replacing the antenna board may not fix the problem. Perhaps now is the time to make a raspberry pi controller..?

Well that's not great! Any boards that I've ever seen or heard of doing that pattern have never worked again.

I get not wanting to shell out a bunch of money for a new card if the outdoor board's comms are dead too. Without some other comm device or a 485 to usb adapter, I'd try and sniff the 485 line with a scope... you shouldn't even need to do both data lines. I think you'll see some rs485 activity every second or so.

press menu.

From the hand held unit:

Do the same:
press menu.

This did not work for me initially, but after turning the power off to the pool from the house breaker box and waiting a minute to turn it back on, it reset and the resetting address procedure worked instantly!! YES!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.