Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: California People - Where to get my water?

1. Back To Top    #1

California People - Where to get my water?

Im concerned about water cost since our local Los Angeles utility provider will ding my bill pretty hard when I go to fill up my pool. On top of the water cost, they will add a 60% sewer service charge and tax everything on top of that.

How have the locals filled their pool? Do you have the water trucked in or beg the utility to not charge you SSC for the volume of the pool in gallons? Any advice appreciated.

thanks.
    O/B Woodland Hills, CA : O/B12x30 inground with 6x6 10-jet spa, 10,500gal, 6' Baja deck, 42" spillway, All Jandy: 400k heater, 2.7 HP VS pump, 1.5HP booster spa pump, SWG, Intellelink controls, (4) LED lights, cartridge filter and BlueSquareQ360 infloor cleaning system, Eclipse drain, glass tiles, Zanzibar white pebble finish. Broke ground 2/18/2016, completed 8/16/2016. TFT 100 kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: California People - Where to get my water?

I know here in AZ many water utilities will waive the sewer service fee on a NEW pool fill. However, if you drain for a remodel/resurface, then you pay the sewerage fee. Usually you have to provide proof of new construction such as a final payment stub to the PB and a copy of the pool specs that shows the pool volume.

Is your pool a new fill? If so, you may want to call your water utility to find out.

Generally speaking, trucked in water is usually more expensive than municipal water and trucks typically deliver less than 10,000 gallons per truck load due to vehicle weight restrictions on secondary roadways.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I bet you'd be surprised. It isn't all that expensive to fill, and as Matt mentioned, most water companies have special rates for filling pools. I think I figured it cost me less than $200 to fill up my pool.

Regardless, whatever comes out of your tap is going to be less expensive than anything delivered (unless you have a well but that brings a whole new set of issues) .
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

4. Back To Top    #4

I know everything is more expensive in CA, I was born and raised in Salinas, CA and still have family there. I just filled my new pool in AZ and it was $180.00 and I will get a credit to my sewer after filling out the proper paperwork.
    Freeform /620 Surface/110 perimeter/20k gal/ Raised bond beam/Baja shelf (2)//Pentair- Intelliflo VS pump, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp// Easytouch, C&C 520 Cartridge, Intellichlor SWCG// A&A- Magnasweep in-floor, LeafVac, Venturi Skimmer,// Mini-pebble (Aqua Blue w abalone shell)//4 Pentair Globrite LEDs//3 sheer descents//Travertine coping and decking.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks peoples.
    I'll check the LADWP and see what they have to say...
    O/B Woodland Hills, CA : O/B12x30 inground with 6x6 10-jet spa, 10,500gal, 6' Baja deck, 42" spillway, All Jandy: 400k heater, 2.7 HP VS pump, 1.5HP booster spa pump, SWG, Intellelink controls, (4) LED lights, cartridge filter and BlueSquareQ360 infloor cleaning system, Eclipse drain, glass tiles, Zanzibar white pebble finish. Broke ground 2/18/2016, completed 8/16/2016. TFT 100 kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi Frank. I'm in Pasadena and we filled our new pool and spa in October. I was shocked that it only cost us $50!!! We have our water through the city though, not LADWP. Our pool is small, 14'x25', only 5' deep, with a 7' spa. I don't know what that translates to in gallons of water.
    Completed new pool & spa in Pasadena, CA Oct 2015
    14' x 25', raised bond beam for water feature
    deck jet, Baja step, 7'x7' spa
    Pentair equip, saltwater, EasyTouch remote system

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi Julie!

Hope you are enjoying your pool!
    thanks for all your help.

8. Back To Top    #8

We're enjoying the spa at this point. Way too cold to think about getting in the pool but we are looking forward to the summer. Hope all is going well for you!
    Completed new pool & spa in Pasadena, CA Oct 2015
    14' x 25', raised bond beam for water feature
    deck jet, Baja step, 7'x7' spa
    Pentair equip, saltwater, EasyTouch remote system