Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heating a small pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Heating a small pool

Hi pool experts!

My wife and I are in the process of opening a therapy pool, as a local business.
    I'm just starting to learn this exciting new world of pools...
    My main question is how to figure out the best type of heating?
    Our pool will be a round, 5m (16ft), 1.3m (4.25ft) deep pool.
    We need it heated constantly to 35c (95f).
    It will be located outdoors, but covered by a closed roof (hopefully a dome), as well as a surface cover when not in use.
    The pool will be located in San Pedro, Belize. Electricity rates there are about US$0.25 per KWH.
    Average temps there are 20-30c all year long (68-86f).
    I think a heat pump is the way to go, due to high efficiency, but not sure what BTU / COP ratings I should look for.
    I would appreciate any tips or resources to continue my research.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Louisiana

Re: Heating a small pool

First I want to say welcome and that you have a lovely country, I was just there week before last (Belize city and the inland part of the country near Guatemala). For your constant temperature demands I agree a heat pump would work best and should be nearly ideal for your climate. Normally for your climate and electric rates I would suggest considering solar, however solar is not good for precise temperature control as you have overnight water cooling to consider even if you do have a fairly constant supply of sunshine, this would likely mean water temperatures a couple of degrees F lower in the mornings than the afternoon or evenings.

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3
    Amelia Island, FL

Re: Heating a small pool

I would agree that a heat pump is best; however, given the price per kWh is double what we experience, I suggest solar plus heat pump. The solar will keep your temperature near the ideal range during daytime hours and the heat pump can maintain, as needed to support. I realize I'm suggesting a very high initial investment, but That high kWh rate is not likely to change for some time, so that solar should pay for itself relatively quickly.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.