What's a scupper?

eqbob

Jul 25, 2012
Central Texas
So perhaps a clueless question, but....

In a recent thread in the under construction area, the terminology of a "scupper" was used. I didn't want to hijack the thread by asking what that was there, but I've not heard the term before and am wondering what it (a scupper) is. It sounds like something big because it was mentioned to be three feet long.

Any terminology help appreciated.

The original term referred to a drain hole on a ship or building. There would often be a short lip to project the water away from the ship or building. Pool or fountain scuppers are styled after the original scuppers. So, I would say that they are more scupper style fountains than actual scuppers.

There are many styles of fountain returns that are referred to as scuppers. However, I would suggest that the ones that follow the style of the original type of scuppers are the best example.

Typically, a square opening with a short ramp for the water to come down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: What's a scupper? Finally this newbie can contribute!!

So perhaps a clueless question, but....

In a recent thread in the under construction area, the terminology of a "scupper" was used. I didn't want to hijack the thread by asking what that was there, but I've not heard the term before and am wondering what it (a scupper) is. It sounds like something big because it was mentioned to be three feet long.

Any terminology help appreciated.

A scupper is a term still used today in sailing. My wife and I spent 5 years sailing full-time after our initial retirement. We sailed a total of 25,000 miles aboard our 42' sailboat. We don't know much about pools yet but we do know sailboat terminology. The cockpit of most sailboats is an enclosed area normally dry that contains the helm controls and room to sit as lookout so it is usually higher than most parts of the boat. Every now and then you take a wave over the boat that completely fills the cockpit well. This makes the boat very unstable since there is so much weight up high above the normal center of gravity. So there are scuppers in the floor which consist of a grate often connected by hard pipe to the bottom of the boat where water will flow out quickly to equalize with sea level. Some just connect to a flapper check valve and drain out the bottom of the cockpit to the deck. They are a critical safety item for blue water sailing and can cause a capsize event if they ever plug. For a pool I would guess they could be used on any raised contained area in or around a pool that you want to normally be dry (or near dry) that may be exposed to rain or return water spray spray.

I know this is more than you ever wanted to know about a scupper but I have to say it's nice for this newbie to finally contribute!:nemo: :nemo: :nemo:

I hope this helps.

Chris

I think that, for the most part, the term scupper, when related to a pool, means a scupper style fountain. I don't think that it usually refers to a functional drainage scupper.

I was going where Chris went when I read scupper...........my husband had one on his competition freestyle jet ski for when he took it underwater. It was a 1.5" pvc pipe with a flapper to keep water from coming back in from the back.

Hey they all deal with water so......... something that directs water out=scupper!

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.