Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What's a scupper?

1. Back To Top    #1

What's a scupper?

So perhaps a clueless question, but....

In a recent thread in the under construction area, the terminology of a "scupper" was used. I didn't want to hijack the thread by asking what that was there, but I've not heard the term before and am wondering what it (a scupper) is. It sounds like something big because it was mentioned to be three feet long.

Any terminology help appreciated.
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What's a scupper?

An opening for water overflow or drainage.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    An opening for water overflow or drainage.
    So is it just another name for a waterfall or sconce? Basically a decorative return?
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't think so. I would think it is used to keep overflowing water from a pool or low area to drain off somewhere less harmful.
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok. Trying to understand why a pool would need 3 3 foot scuppers then. That seems like an incredible amount of overflow drainag / drain-out??

6. Back To Top    #6

The old adage a picture is worth a thousand words might help!!! What Is A Scupper In Swimming Pool Design?
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

7. Back To Top    #7

That's a whole different kinda scupper from what i was thinking. Decorative feature---nice.

8. Back To Top    #8

So that sorta goes back to my thought that it was just another term for sconces or decorative returns, probably above the water line?

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, it can be anything. A simple decorative outlet or more elaborate...perhaps a lions head or something for a water return to the pool. A Google image search turns up a multitude of them.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

10. Back To Top    #10

The original term referred to a drain hole on a ship or building. There would often be a short lip to project the water away from the ship or building. Pool or fountain scuppers are styled after the original scuppers. So, I would say that they are more scupper style fountains than actual scuppers.

There are many styles of fountain returns that are referred to as scuppers. However, I would suggest that the ones that follow the style of the original type of scuppers are the best example.

Typically, a square opening with a short ramp for the water to come down.

11. Back To Top    #11

Re: What's a scupper? Finally this newbie can contribute!!

Quote Originally Posted by eqbob View Post
    So perhaps a clueless question, but....

In a recent thread in the under construction area, the terminology of a "scupper" was used. I didn't want to hijack the thread by asking what that was there, but I've not heard the term before and am wondering what it (a scupper) is. It sounds like something big because it was mentioned to be three feet long.

Any terminology help appreciated.
    A scupper is a term still used today in sailing. My wife and I spent 5 years sailing full-time after our initial retirement. We sailed a total of 25,000 miles aboard our 42' sailboat. We don't know much about pools yet but we do know sailboat terminology. The cockpit of most sailboats is an enclosed area normally dry that contains the helm controls and room to sit as lookout so it is usually higher than most parts of the boat. Every now and then you take a wave over the boat that completely fills the cockpit well. This makes the boat very unstable since there is so much weight up high above the normal center of gravity. So there are scuppers in the floor which consist of a grate often connected by hard pipe to the bottom of the boat where water will flow out quickly to equalize with sea level. Some just connect to a flapper check valve and drain out the bottom of the cockpit to the deck. They are a critical safety item for blue water sailing and can cause a capsize event if they ever plug. For a pool I would guess they could be used on any raised contained area in or around a pool that you want to normally be dry (or near dry) that may be exposed to rain or return water spray spray.

I know this is more than you ever wanted to know about a scupper but I have to say it's nice for this newbie to finally contribute!

I hope this helps.

Chris
    -Chris-
    2013 In-ground plaster/pebble, screen enclosed, 12000 gal w/ Jandy 2 speed 1 HP pump, Jandy CS 200 cartridge filter, 800 gal spa w/ 1.5 HP booster pump, Solar heater, 2 LED lights in pool 1 light in spa, TF-100 test kit, The PoolCleaner Next Generation, Jandy RS-12 Automation system with iAqualink 2.0 control, Separate Hayward/Goldline Solar control

12. Back To Top    #12

I think that, for the most part, the term scupper, when related to a pool, means a scupper style fountain. I don't think that it usually refers to a functional drainage scupper.

13. Back To Top    #13

I was going where Chris went when I read scupper...........my husband had one on his competition freestyle jet ski for when he took it underwater. It was a 1.5" pvc pipe with a flapper to keep water from coming back in from the back.

Hey they all deal with water so......... something that directs water out=scupper!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

I would say that it's a fountain return in the style of an architectural building scupper. If you Google that term in images, it should be a good representation.

15. Back To Top    #15

Here are our simple scuppers in action.

Pool video
    Build thread
    IG Gunite w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, 18K gallons 500sqft
    Jandy: 60 DE filter, 2.0 VS (main pump), 2.0 Flo Pro (features)
    Paramount PV3 w/ 1.5 Stealth, PDA PS6, JXi 400K NG
    Flagstone coping & wall. Stamped Concrete from BrickForm. TF-100 w/Speed Stir.