Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bubbles in water when adding bleach?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bubbles in water when adding bleach?

I'm doing the dichlor then bleach method, first time I added bleach today and noticed that there was bubbles on the surface of the water right away after adding the bleach (had the jets on when adding it). Then I noticed that the bleach I was using was "splash-less" and it was more thick, so maybe the thickening agent was making the bubbles?? So I bought just the regular bleach and added it later today to do a shock, and again the bubbles formed. It gets a lot worse when using the jets with air when we go in it. Anyone else experience this? I've never had bubbles or foam in my hot tub before

Also, with the pool calculator I'm putting in the 8.25% for the bleach as it says "concentrated", however, at the store where I bought it they all said "concentrated" on the bottles, do they even make regular 6% bleach any more? The bottle I got was the "original" Chlorox bleach. Thanks for any help!!!
    Sundance Calypso Hot tub 1500 L, 2 pumps, Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bubbles in water when adding bleach?

Usually, if the percentage isn't labled, you can figure it to be 3-6% give or take a percent. Almost all of it is 8.25% now. I would imagine it will take some time before the thickener breaks down enough not to foam anymore. I would consider a drain and refil...
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Usually, if the percentage isn't labled, you can figure it to be 3-6% give or take a percent. Almost all of it is 8.25% now. I would imagine it will take some time before the thickener breaks down enough not to foam anymore. I would consider a drain and refil...
    I just did a drain and refill the other week, so probably will just wait for it to go away as I'm sure it's not harming anything.

4. Back To Top    #4

Bubble bath!!!!

5. Back To Top    #5

Enjoy bubble bath and then drain !!!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Brenda1 View Post
    Enjoy bubble bath and then drain !!!
    Don't really feel like doing that in -10C weather. Will have to wait.

7. Back To Top    #7

Pool Calculator, wrong hot tub volume??

So I just got the Taylor K-2006, works pretty good! Now I'm seeing that I am only putting half the amount of chlorine I should have. So I had 1 ppm FC this morning, I did the PoolMath to add 105 ml of concentrated bleach to get to goal of 7. However, when testing after I added the bleach, I only had 3.5 ppm FC! So have I calculated my hot tub volume wrong? Is it not 1500 L? Is it 2500 or 3000 L? I first calculated it by how quick I filled it, but now I think that was wrong.

I have a Sundance Calypso tub, outside measurements are about 7 x 7 x 3. So when plugging that in I get about 3400 L, but of course, since that's outside measurements and considering all the shelves and stuff I'm assuming it's more like 2500 or 3000?

- UPDATE: I just did the PoolMath using 2500 L for volume and added another 101 ml to get to 7 ppm from 3.5. I tested it now at 6.5 ppm FC.

Also does one have to wait for a certain amount of time for the bleach to saturate the water? I just had the filter on for about 5 minutes after dosing and then tested. Thanks!

8. Back To Top    #8

Re: Pool Calculator, wrong hot tub volume??

With he pump running 10 - 15 minutes should be plenty of time for the chlorine and water to mix.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon