Pool Vacuum No Longer Working Properly After New Pump Install

Dec 26, 2015
Glendale, CA
Hi everyone,

I wasn't sure if I should post this under the pool cleaners sub or here, but ultimately decided on posting here because this seems to be a pump configuration issue more than a vacuum problem to my very untrained eye.

My kreepy krauly worked flawlessly under my old 3/4hp pump for two years. The motor on said pump died and a new pump, a Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed, took its place. The issue is that the vacuum will not automatically come online with the pump at all times as it did with the previous pump. I'd say that it turns on automatically half the time. The other half, I have to manually up the speed of the pump or disconnect/reconnect the vacuum from the scimmer.

The pump was initially running at 1800rpm, and the vacuum would fail to auto start more often than not. I adjusted the pump speed to 2000 rpm, and it has been more reliable, turning on without my intervention about half the time. In the instances that the vacuum doesn't auto start, pushing the pump to 2200 for a split second is enough to get it "jump started".

Any thoughts as to what type of configuration changes I may make to the pump to make the vacuum automatically start 100% of the time as it would before?

Thanks!

I'm certainly not a Kreepy Krauly expert as I have never owned one but I know that they require at least 25 gpm from the manual. Perhaps at the lower RPMs your pump is not providing this to the cleaner. What HP is the new VS pump? You may need to set the pump schedule to run at a higher RPM for the duration of the time that you'd like the KK to run and a lower speed when you don't need it to run to save on electricity. It's going to be a balance of running the KK long enough to clean the pool, but not so long that it's a waste of $$.

Other users may have more experience and can chime in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.