New electric rates

tim5055

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2014
Franklin, NC
We just received notice that our rates are changing effective March 1st including a new "On-Peak" rate structure. They are quick to point out that the "Off-Peak rates are dropping from 11.5¢ to 4.7¢. But, you have to look hard to find the On_peak rates. Well, after a little searching I found
To determine the On-Peak charge (traditionally known as a demand charge), the highest ONE hour of energy use is identified from the On-Peak hours in each billing period. That ONE hour is billed at the On-Peak charge per kW.

So for the On-Peak charges they are only going to charge me for the highest use one hour period during the month at a resaonable $12 per kW. So, if I use 3 kW in that hour my on peak charge is $36.

Time to invest in timers for all my high use items......

Don't run the pool, AC or oven at the same time.
Yea, I'm trying to figure out how to kill the high usage items during those hours.

- - - Updated - - -

What????? How can they do that? So they pick the ONE hour you used the most power and and charge you that amount for all on peak hours? OUCH!

Bet you start running your pool at night now :(

Kim
I'm looking at the middle of the day 10 - 4 during the summer.

Wow, Tim, that's just crazy? Who is your energy provider??

That just sounds like total piracy. So for all the elderly people who typically need to stay indoors and do most of their activities there, oh well, stinks to be them. You get to cool your home, turn on the lights and make yourself a meal...just not all three at any one given time.

No offense, but here's hoping that crazy idea stays in South Carolina....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Tim,

Check out WeMo switches by Belkin. There are many different varieties from simple remote on/off to scheduler type switches and even ones that can measure and track load. The nice part is you can automate the WeMo's through your home WiFi.

Good luck,
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Wow. Forget candle lit dinners! You'll be making dinner under candle lights! :ncool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.