Travertine questions

Nursenini

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 22, 2015
Bixby, Ok
I am looking for a way to get travertine for my deck and pool build. I believe I found some for a good price. I'm hoping my PB will be ok with working with me on this tile. It's $2.79/sq ft for 12x12 tumbled travertine.
Am I correct in thinking this is a good price?

What's a typical cost per sq ft for install including the installation materials?

Is the installation done with mastic and grouted joints, or a sand bed and a polymer type sanded joint?

Also, tumbled is what you want for decking and coping, right? I'm thinking honed and filled would be slick.
What application would you use honed and filled?

If I go with 12x12 on the deck, what size is used for coping typically?

When you used travertine for the deck, what did you put on your spa? Your firepit? Any pedestals/columns?

Thank you for you input and advice!

pictures of your travertine, including type and color would be welcomed and appreciated!

yes I think that's right we just looked with our PB yesterday and he said the same and we agreed otherwise it's too slick. I'm excited for you I think you will love the travertine

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas to you!
I'm not getting excited yet as I haven't talked to them about buying from a different supplier. All our financing is made out in installment checks to the PB, so they would have to agree to buy it... I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row for a design mtg I am setting up after the holidays before they dig.

Some travertine is 2.79 per foot but it depends on what travertine. My wife picked silver its expensive. I buy as a contractor thats 4.50 per sq ft. Thats a great price for silver.

Not sure why you would by just 12x12 most people put in a pattern. Lastly, installing it you want a 10 percent waste so if its 1000 sq ft you want 1100.

Now my travertine installers do 6-7 a foot. Drains tend to be 7.50 without materials. Raised decks cost more. They do sand concrete mixtures and rebar around the sides.

Sorry theres so much to this though

Some travertine is 2.79 per foot but it depends on what travertine. My wife picked silver its expensive. I buy as a contractor thats 4.50 per sq ft. Thats a great price for silver.

Not sure why you would by just 12x12 most people put in a pattern. Lastly, installing it you want a 10 percent waste so if its 1000 sq ft you want 1100.

Now my travertine installers do 6-7 a foot. Drains tend to be 7.50 without materials. Raised decks cost more. They do sand concrete mixtures and rebar around the sides.

Nothing to be sorry about! This is great information and extremely helpful. Thank you!

Hopefully you can find a great deal n your pool builder will agree! That would be a great late Christmas gift for sure!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

This is awesome info. It gives good thinking and planning points.

Kim

e8ad079b50f42f53eda018d7fac23065.jpg
f9b5ea8672070ee494e28b97df2429cd.jpg
6af5f965dd261308aca1af0430d8a99f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have 12"x12" Noce color travertine pavers for both our pool deck and coping and are very happy with how they look and feel. Both coping and stairs have bullnose edges. Not sure of the grade quality but they don't have too many holes. They are set on compacted sub base except for the stairs, which are set on concrete base. I was concerned that they might be too hot in summer, but they stay cool yearround (as evidenced by our dog Beau laying in his favorite spot). I think we paid $7.00/sq. ft. Installed. Hope this helps in your selection.

We have 12"x12" Noce color travertine pavers for both our pool deck and coping and are very happy with how they look and feel. Both coping and stairs have bullnose edges. Not sure of the grade quality but they don't have too many holes. They are set on compacted sub base except for the stairs, which are set on concrete base. I was concerned that they might be too hot in summer, but they stay cool yearround (as evidenced by our dog Beau laying in his favorite spot). I think we paid $7.00/sq. ft. Installed. Hope this helps in your selection.

This is pattern that is common http://www.nstile.com/Resources/versai3.jpeg

Beautiful pool, deck and doggy! Thank you! This is very helpful!!

- - - Updated - - -

I love the pattern! I bet it's more expensive to do....

I have heard that the travertine coming out of Mexico is lower quality. Find out the country of origin. I specifically request this info and verified before I let the install proceed. Stick to travertine from Turkey.

- - - Updated - - -

My travertine was installed over a crushed granite/sand base, the joints were filled with polymeric sand.

I have heard that the travertine coming out of Mexico is lower quality. Find out the country of origin. I specifically request this info and verified before I let the install proceed. Stick to travertine from Turkey.

- - - Updated - - -

My travertine was installed over a crushed granite/sand base, the joints were filled with polymeric sand.

Your travertine is gorgeous!

I seem to remember reading that this stone is from Turkey. Thanks for the heads up on the Mexico product. I will definitely pay close attention to the country of origin.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.