Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travertine questions

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Travertine questions

I am looking for a way to get travertine for my deck and pool build. I believe I found some for a good price. I'm hoping my PB will be ok with working with me on this tile. It's $2.79/sq ft for 12x12 tumbled travertine.
    Am I correct in thinking this is a good price?

What's a typical cost per sq ft for install including the installation materials?

Is the installation done with mastic and grouted joints, or a sand bed and a polymer type sanded joint?

Also, tumbled is what you want for decking and coping, right? I'm thinking honed and filled would be slick.
    What application would you use honed and filled?

If I go with 12x12 on the deck, what size is used for coping typically?

When you used travertine for the deck, what did you put on your spa? Your firepit? Any pedestals/columns?

Thank you for you input and advice!

pictures of your travertine, including type and color would be welcomed and appreciated!
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Travertine questions

tumbled is what you want for decking and coping, right?
    yes I think that's right we just looked with our PB yesterday and he said the same and we agreed otherwise it's too slick. I'm excited for you I think you will love the travertine

Merry Christmas
    Free-form IG Gunite | Length 32 ft | Width 19 ft | Depth 3.5-5-7 | 14,462 gallons | Raised Spa 6.5 x 9 | IntelliFlo VS Filter pump 2" | Pentair FNS Plus 60 sq ft D.E. filter | 320 inline chlorinator w/UV & IC 40 SWG | Dolphin M5 | Easy Touch 8 | TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by boyzu View Post
    yes I think that's right we just looked with our PB yesterday and he said the same and we agreed otherwise it's too slick. I'm excited for you I think you will love the travertine

Merry Christmas
    Merry Christmas to you!
    I'm not getting excited yet as I haven't talked to them about buying from a different supplier. All our financing is made out in installment checks to the PB, so they would have to agree to buy it... I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row for a design mtg I am setting up after the holidays before they dig.
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

4. Back To Top    #4

Depending on the quality of the stone, it's a good price. If it's a low quality stone, then I would say pass.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by txnole View Post
    Depending on the quality of the stone, it's a good price. If it's a low quality stone, then I would say pass.
    How is quality determined? Sure don't want poor quality!
    Denise-TFP Guide

6. Back To Top    #6

nini, I have not idea but here are some links for you to read. (note the dates for $$ reasons)

Travertine

Types and Grades of Travertine Tile

Travertine Buying Guide

how to know travertine quality - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

I hope this helps!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    nini, I have not idea but here are some links for you to read. (note the dates for $$ reasons)

Travertine

Types and Grades of Travertine Tile

Travertine Buying Guide

how to know travertine quality - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

I hope this helps!

Kim
    LOVE IT! Thanks bunches, Kim!

Merry Christmas!!
    Denise-TFP Guide

8. Back To Top    #8

Some travertine is 2.79 per foot but it depends on what travertine. My wife picked silver its expensive. I buy as a contractor thats 4.50 per sq ft. Thats a great price for silver.

Not sure why you would by just 12x12 most people put in a pattern. Lastly, installing it you want a 10 percent waste so if its 1000 sq ft you want 1100.

Now my travertine installers do 6-7 a foot. Drains tend to be 7.50 without materials. Raised decks cost more. They do sand concrete mixtures and rebar around the sides.

Sorry theres so much to this though

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by badcrc View Post
    Some travertine is 2.79 per foot but it depends on what travertine. My wife picked silver its expensive. I buy as a contractor thats 4.50 per sq ft. Thats a great price for silver.

Not sure why you would by just 12x12 most people put in a pattern. Lastly, installing it you want a 10 percent waste so if its 1000 sq ft you want 1100.

Now my travertine installers do 6-7 a foot. Drains tend to be 7.50 without materials. Raised decks cost more. They do sand concrete mixtures and rebar around the sides.

Nothing to be sorry about! This is great information and extremely helpful. Thank you!
    Denise-TFP Guide

10. Back To Top    #10

Hopefully you can find a great deal n your pool builder will agree! That would be a great late Christmas gift for sure!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

This is awesome info. It gives good thinking and planning points.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

8' x 34' Lap Pool, 3.5' to 5.5' deep, 10,000 gallons
    Pentair Intelliflo 3050 VS Pump, Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, 150sf Clean & Clear Cartridge Filter
    IG Shotcrete, Sunstone "Midnight Blue" pebble aggregate finish
    2 white lights 300 watt
    5 Solar pool panels (4'x10')
    12" x 12" "Noce" Travertine pavers

13. Back To Top    #13

We have 12"x12" Noce color travertine pavers for both our pool deck and coping and are very happy with how they look and feel. Both coping and stairs have bullnose edges. Not sure of the grade quality but they don't have too many holes. They are set on compacted sub base except for the stairs, which are set on concrete base. I was concerned that they might be too hot in summer, but they stay cool yearround (as evidenced by our dog Beau laying in his favorite spot). I think we paid $7.00/sq. ft. Installed. Hope this helps in your selection.

8' x 34' Lap Pool, 3.5' to 5.5' deep, 10,000 gallons
    Pentair Intelliflo 3050 VS Pump, Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, 150sf Clean & Clear Cartridge Filter
    IG Shotcrete, Sunstone "Midnight Blue" pebble aggregate finish
    2 white lights 300 watt
    5 Solar pool panels (4'x10')
    12" x 12" "Noce" Travertine pavers

14. Back To Top    #14

Beau tested and approved! That is pretty!

Kim

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty77 View Post
    We have 12"x12" Noce color travertine pavers for both our pool deck and coping and are very happy with how they look and feel. Both coping and stairs have bullnose edges. Not sure of the grade quality but they don't have too many holes. They are set on compacted sub base except for the stairs, which are set on concrete base. I was concerned that they might be too hot in summer, but they stay cool yearround (as evidenced by our dog Beau laying in his favorite spot). I think we paid $7.00/sq. ft. Installed. Hope this helps in your selection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This is pattern that is common http://www.nstile.com/Resources/versai3.jpeg

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty77 View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Beautiful pool, deck and doggy! Thank you! This is very helpful!!

- - - Updated - - -

This is pattern that is common http://www.nstile.com/Resources/versai3.jpeg
    I love the pattern! I bet it's more expensive to do....
    Denise-TFP Guide

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Nursenini View Post
    Beautiful pool, deck and doggy! Thank you! This is very helpful!!

- - - Updated - - -

I love the pattern! I bet it's more expensive to do....
    Sometimes people charge more maybe 1 dollar.

18. Back To Top    #18

I have heard that the travertine coming out of Mexico is lower quality. Find out the country of origin. I specifically request this info and verified before I let the install proceed. Stick to travertine from Turkey.

- - - Updated - - -

My travertine was installed over a crushed granite/sand base, the joints were filled with polymeric sand.
    Freeform /620 Surface/110 perimeter/20k gal/ Raised bond beam/Baja shelf (2)//Pentair- Intelliflo VS pump, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp// Easytouch, C&C 520 Cartridge, Intellichlor SWCG// A&A- Magnasweep in-floor, LeafVac, Venturi Skimmer,// Mini-pebble (Aqua Blue w abalone shell)//4 Pentair Globrite LEDs//3 sheer descents//Travertine coping and decking.

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by azjoshers79 View Post
    I have heard that the travertine coming out of Mexico is lower quality. Find out the country of origin. I specifically request this info and verified before I let the install proceed. Stick to travertine from Turkey.

- - - Updated - - -

My travertine was installed over a crushed granite/sand base, the joints were filled with polymeric sand.
    Your travertine is gorgeous!

I seem to remember reading that this stone is from Turkey. Thanks for the heads up on the Mexico product. I will definitely pay close attention to the country of origin.
    Denise-TFP Guide

20. Back To Top    #20

Thank you very much. We love our decking. I am going to be sealing the coping today. Not expecting rain for a week so I can get the sealer down.
    Freeform /620 Surface/110 perimeter/20k gal/ Raised bond beam/Baja shelf (2)//Pentair- Intelliflo VS pump, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp// Easytouch, C&C 520 Cartridge, Intellichlor SWCG// A&A- Magnasweep in-floor, LeafVac, Venturi Skimmer,// Mini-pebble (Aqua Blue w abalone shell)//4 Pentair Globrite LEDs//3 sheer descents//Travertine coping and decking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast