I know its late and after the fact

rajung

Mar 17, 2015
Cedar Falls, Iowa
So something came to mind a few weeks ago as I was staring out the window looking at the pool like Clark Griswold.I don't know why I never thought this before.
In my area we have very high TA in our city water.
Whenever I have tested it would be around 375PPM.
In the spring,since lowering the pool water level below the return fitting when winterizing I find myself having to go through the constant battle of adding M Acid and aerating the pool to get the PH back where it should be. I for some reason try to keep it at 100-120 PPM.I don't cover pool due to lack of trees.This year we have so far only had 12 inches of snow and that is all gone but constant rain.
Oddly the pool water isn't even iced over yet for this time of year, but naturally the water level is above return and partially into the skimmer level area.
I do have all lines disconnected from return and skimmer and have those plugged and capped off on the wall.
Am I not just wasting water,time and UN-needed work draining and so on since the water level is back up to near proper level?
I never gave it a thought until this year since usually its froze solid covered in snow.I always drained 6 inches below the return but it only stayed that way for a couple of weeks, rain or snow it would still be the same outcome.

Since you disconnect the hoses and plug the pool I see no danger in skipping the "drain below the returns" piece. Especially since the main reason to drain the pool is to help protect the plumbing from freeze damage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.