Jandy/Pentair Check Valves

understand this is really old thread. but i wonder if someone can comment on how well the valve work in horizontal operation with the spring removed?

I found that thread a few times from the search function and was wanting to ask a question too.:D

I've recently installed four Jandy check valves all with the springs removed, two 180's in the horizontal and two 90's vertical. The flapper floats. Only one of the 90's works with any success and this one has the full head of water from the solar heating pipe to the roof that closes this valve the instant the solar pump turns off.

I suspect wether they work or not without the springs will depend to some extent on the application or plumbing schematics. The flappers on both of my 180's in the horizontal float up and out of the way allowing water to flow past in the wrong direction. There is not enough head pressure to close them and keep them closed. I've replaced the spring in one that really matters but now it produces too much back pressure for my Eco three speed pump to run in the low speed.:(

My two options now are to cut one of the spring arms off so that it closes with half the force or tap a thread in the flapper and use a 316 stainless screw and combination of nuts to make the flapper neutral or negatively buoyant and prevent the 90 degree valve in the vertical from opening past 90 degrees.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.