Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jandy/Pentair Check Valves

1. Back To Top    #1

Jandy/Pentair Check Valves

Moderator Note: This was split off from an older thread from here- Orientation of Jandy/Pentair Check Valves

understand this is really old thread. but i wonder if someone can comment on how well the valve work in horizontal operation with the spring removed?
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Orientation of Jandy/Pentair Check Valves

Horizontal with the lid facing up and spring removed is ideal
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

3. Back To Top    #3

Jandy/Pentair Check Valves

Quote Originally Posted by Diver View Post
    understand this is really old thread. but i wonder if someone can comment on how well the valve work in horizontal operation with the spring removed?

I found that thread a few times from the search function and was wanting to ask a question too.

I've recently installed four Jandy check valves all with the springs removed, two 180's in the horizontal and two 90's vertical. The flapper floats. Only one of the 90's works with any success and this one has the full head of water from the solar heating pipe to the roof that closes this valve the instant the solar pump turns off.

I suspect wether they work or not without the springs will depend to some extent on the application or plumbing schematics. The flappers on both of my 180's in the horizontal float up and out of the way allowing water to flow past in the wrong direction. There is not enough head pressure to close them and keep them closed. I've replaced the spring in one that really matters but now it produces too much back pressure for my Eco three speed pump to run in the low speed.

My two options now are to cut one of the spring arms off so that it closes with half the force or tap a thread in the flapper and use a 316 stainless screw and combination of nuts to make the flapper neutral or negatively buoyant and prevent the 90 degree valve in the vertical from opening past 90 degrees.
    Steve.
    30,000L (8,000g) Pebblecrete | Davey 3sp Eco pump | Poolrite sand filter & SWCG |
    Waterco solar panels & Astral E140 pump| K2006, CCL reagents, BlueDevil pH, Salt meter & K1766 | Town water - pH 7.2, TA 50, CH 60 | Esky full of coldies |