Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: bypassing a heat pump when not in use

1. Back To Top    #1

Newington, Connecticut

bypassing a heat pump when not in use

Is it beneficial to have the option to bypass a heat pump when not in use. My thought is exposing the heat exchanger to corrosion at all times, however on the other hand I guess left over chemicals would remain. Maybe greater efficiency of the filtration system. Any thoughts?
    16'x34' Kidney 17000 Gallon IG Vinyl liner. Pentair IntelliXF vs pump, Sta-Rite System 3 DE filter. Liquidator, TF-100 Test kit w/ speed stir. Aqua Comfort heat pump, Dolphin Apollo robot, clear solar cover, stamped concrete deck.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: bypassing a heat pump when not in use

This thread might interest you - Bypass for heater

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

It is beneficial to have an external bypass in case you need to work on the unit or if it should spring a leak. There are many many systems with no external bypass and the units last just as long. Just keep your water chemicals adjusted correctly and you'll be fine.

A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    Riverside, CA

I have a bypass on my heater primarily for efficiency gains (which are minimal [Edit - i"ve found this to not be true according to THIS]). I installed an automated valve that I have scheduled to open a couple times a week to allow a water exchange within the heater and set up so it is impossible for the heater to fire without the bypass valve activated.

What corrosion are you referring to? If you water chemistry is that far out of balance, then damage will be done to more than just the heater.
    33K In ground Pool/Spa, IntelliFlo, IntelliChlor SWG, Easytouch, ScreenLogic, MasterTemp 400, Quad 100, IntelliPH, MiniPebble, Dolphin Z5, POOL BUILD