Central Connecticut
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
All, I am having my cement, Liner, Skimmer, and return lines replaced on my 18x36 in-ground rectangular pool. The company quoting the work is a very reputable local company. However, I have some questions/concerns:

1. They have suggested that we put 2 returns on the same side as the skimmer. Right now we have one on the skimmer side and one in opposite low end. Does this sound correct? I am concerned that water will not flow to the skimmer properly. Also have 2 in the stairs that will stay.
2. They suggested getting rid of the main drain in the deep end. (8ft deep)
3. Since we don't ever use the pool light, they suggested getting rid of it all together. (In deep end wall).

Do these sound reasonable?

#1 is my main concern.

Thanks,
Rich

You can turn and angle the "eyeballs" of the returns to make the water flow how/where you want. When I was setting mine I put a blue ping pong ball in the pool and watched it to see how I needed to adjust it.

I am very disappointed in how my main drain does not do what I thought it would-help keep the floor of the pool cleaner. I thought it would "pull" the dirt and leaves to that area and to the basket. I will not have a main drain with my next liner.

Light-That is up to you. We had one at one time but took it out when it stopped working. We just use the outside lights on the pool house.

Kim

What was there reason for moving the returns ?? Is it easier for them, less expensive or did they explain how it might be better for flow ??

If you're thinking of moving anytime soon you might want to reconsider the light simply as it's a nice way to showcase the pool in the evening and some people like them for safety and aesthetics

The only reaction when I asked about putting the returns on the same side, was that they eyes should be pointed down anyway to keep the proper movement/flow of water. ???

Rich

For the most part main drains are not to keep the bottom surface clean of debris as the pull of water to them is not strong enough to do much good. What they do is make sure the water is circulated more thoroughly. Many pools do not have a main drain and do fine however, with only two returns in that large of pool I suggest to leave the main drain. I would think you would want a minimum of three or four returns for that size of pool.

We rarely use our lights but when we have little ones swimming in it is dark the lights are always turned on for safety.

I only have one return in my 33' round above ground pool. I can adjust the one return to make the ball flow right on the wall or towards the center depending oh how I adjust it. Of course I keep it where the ball and stuff on top of the water stays by the wall and goes in the skimmer when it gets there.

Your 4 should work just fine!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi kimkats. I was concerned with having the 2 returns on the same side as my skimmer because my pool is rectangle. The pool company says that all of their in-ground pools are being installed with returns on the same side as the skimmer. They claim you point the eyes down and away at a 45 degree angle and the water will hit the opposite wall and return back toward the skimmer. ?? I don't know what to think of this.

I bet you will find that you can angle them so that it causes a circular pattern of movement in the water.

I do not think the "hitting the opposite wall and return back toward the skimmer" will work :/

Kim

So, do you believe it is possible to get proper circulation .. i.e., stuff floating to skimmer ... in a rectangular pool with the 2 returns on the same side as the skimmer? I don't think the 2 returns in the stairs will help much. Looks like one return in deep end (8ft deep) and the other in the low end .. with skimmer between them.

As always, thanks for your input!

Rich

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.